Softball Drama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
I've heard it said for years, in Middle School it will be better, in High School the drama is not as bad.

You're kidding right? My DD's HS team, ranked 10 by ESPNU, was nearly ripped apart by drama. The coach did absolutely nothing about it. One girl dated another's ex-boyfriend, sides were drawn up, and hell broke loose. A couple of players didn't like a freshman who came out, so they bullied her into crying about every other night. On a road trip, a couple of the girls decided there were 2 players they would make cry before the weekend was over, to try to marginalize them socially on the team before they became popular. They were horrible to them, and accomplished their mission (crying - everyone still liked them). It goes on and on.

HS softball teams are miserable places to spend your time. Travel ball isn't so bad, because most coaches don't put up with it. I have no idea why they do in HS ball.

There were two girls on our HS team - one has played 3 seasons, the other 2. Parents CONSTANTLY called the coach cussing for some reason or another. Nothing was done. This went on for 3 long, miserable seasons - imagine how the other girls on the team felt! They would see those two girls perform horribly, yet they were never benched. With not many games left in the season, one girl had words with Assistant Coach - away game, so not many of us there (parentals). After she lashed at him, grabbed other player from dugout and made a b line for her parent. Parent walzes over to AC and proceeds to go off on the man IN FRONT OF a dugout of players (in for batting). Obviously wasn't satisfied with that rant, so went over to 3rd base ON THE FIELD where head coach was standing and said UNSPEAKABLE things to her (in front of opposing teams' dugout and coaching staff). Needless to say after the parents who were there who witnessed, something HAD to be done. The girls no longer played on the HS team and I can attest that the tail end of the season was drama-free - the girls played like a brand new team.

It is sad for the children who listen to the crap their parents spew and believe it as the gospel. You want to pity the children because they are just that - children - but when you see them behave in a disrespectful manner towards their coaches, you realize they are following in the footsteps of their parents. Once the cycle has started, it is hard to break unless the children are willing to ignore and rise above the filth and vileness of their parents. I am, by far and large, not the most perfect parent but would NEVER speak out of the way about DDs coach, sister players, etc.. Just not a good thing to do....

Oct 19, 2009
There were two girls on our HS team - one has played 3 seasons, the other 2. Parents CONSTANTLY called the coach cussing for some reason or another. Nothing was done. This went on for 3 long, miserable seasons - imagine how the other girls on the team felt! They would see those two girls perform horribly, yet they were never benched. With not many games left in the season, one girl had words with Assistant Coach - away game, so not many of us there (parentals). After she lashed at him, grabbed other player from dugout and made a b line for her parent. Parent walzes over to AC and proceeds to go off on the man IN FRONT OF a dugout of players (in for batting). Obviously wasn't satisfied with that rant, so went over to 3rd base ON THE FIELD where head coach was standing and said UNSPEAKABLE things to her (in front of opposing teams' dugout and coaching staff). Needless to say after the parents who were there who witnessed, something HAD to be done. The girls no longer played on the HS team and I can attest that the tail end of the season was drama-free - the girls played like a brand new team.

It is sad for the children who listen to the crap their parents spew and believe it as the gospel. You want to pity the children because they are just that - children - but when you see them behave in a disrespectful manner towards their coaches, you realize they are following in the footsteps of their parents. Once the cycle has started, it is hard to break unless the children are willing to ignore and rise above the filth and vileness of their parents. I am, by far and large, not the most perfect parent but would NEVER speak out of the way about DDs coach, sister players, etc.. Just not a good thing to do....

As it takes one bad apple to spoil the basket, one bad attitude can ruin a team.

Bear Bryant once said
"If you have 10 all-americans and 1 turd-head you will finish your season with 11 turd-heads. It never works the other way."

We were fortunate enough to end the season without two players. At the last game, we all looked around (parents) and said we felt like the season just started - couldn't believe it was over already! The tension was GONE and it was fabulous! I just hate it for the girls that 3/4 of their season was poisoned, but glad they all knew better than to follow the behavior of the two bad apples! :) The team actually took an annonymous vote after witnessing the performance of the girls and parent after the games. Although it was not unanimous, the majority of the team believed they would be better off without those two playing. They caught the wrath at school and there are still ripple effects from the decision, but the team as a whole was better off without that type of negativity around them. I have never understood why everyone can't just get along?!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I just heard today, that one of my former students was benched because of her attitude. Her mom took her home and they quit. They are 13 YOs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee