Softball dad looking for a new glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2019
My 15 year old glove is starting to fall apart inside. I need something for practicing with my girls. The problem with mine is that the lining on the inside is coming apart because it is not leather. What do I need to spend these days to get something that is good quality and will last? Just looking for suggestions. Whatcha think?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
*What brand Is your 15 year old glove?
*What brand do you like?
*What size is your 15 year old glove?
*How old is your DD’s and how many years do you have left practicing with them??
*What’s your budget?

*Is it a really cheap glove or is your sweat really that acidic?

If you want to spend the money on a glove that will last, there’s some Rawlings exclusives out there with a Horween liner, you’ll never have to buy another glove!

Jun 26, 2019
In no particular order:
It's a 13" Rawlings. I have no preference on brand, no complaints with this glove other than the material coming apart, probably because I left it out in the rain at one point last summer.
My girls are 8 and 10 both want to pitch, but next week they could abandon softball altogether to go to flute camp.
As far as budget I was hoping I could get something serviceable for $50-100. I see gloves costing up to $300 ish and don't feel like I want or need to spend that much but maybe spending $75 on a used 150 glove would be a better buy.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Plenty of decent gloves in the $50-100 range. My 12.5 inch Wilson is 17 years old...bought for ~$60 in 2002. Used it in adult leagues for some five years before moving on to 12+ years of kid's softball, and it's still in great shape. Don't leave it in the rain, oil it occasionally, and leave a ball in it.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You're a couple of weeks late on the killer blowout on All-Star gloves that JBG had going! This here is still a really good deal. Puts it at $134.00 after the 10% off coupon.

I'm assuming you're a right hand throw (RHT)? Buy yourself a container of Obenauf's beeswax to treat the hand stall / liner of your new glove!

Oct 4, 2018
Go to "Play it Again Sports" or a similar used sporting equipment store. Get something broken in. Save a few bucks.

Jun 26, 2019
Go to "Play it Again Sports" or a similar used sporting equipment store. Get something broken in. Save a few bucks.
We were just at one the other day, trading in some outgrown equipment. I looked at them, lots of kids gloves, didn't have the right one for me but I will check again next time I am in the area

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We were just at one the other day, trading in some outgrown equipment. I looked at them, lots of kids gloves, didn't have the right one for me but I will check again next time I am in the area
Good quality used gloves at PIAS are very rare! I've gotten some killer deals on bats there, but only ever one (1) glove before! And if they do by chance get a nice HOH or A2000, they think they're Don Morton sports!

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
How committed is she to playing? Consider the length of life of a more expensive glove. Gloves I bought in the $80 to $100 lasted maybe a year when DD was younger. At 14 I got her a Vinci. It's lasted four years so far, and is on it's way to college now. More expensive, higher quality may be cheaper in the long run. Be aware these usually take longer to break in.

Jun 26, 2019
How committed is she to playing? Consider the length of life of a more expensive glove. Gloves I bought in the $80 to $100 lasted maybe a year when DD was younger. At 14 I got her a Vinci. It's lasted four years so far, and is on it's way to college now. More expensive, higher quality may be cheaper in the long run. Be aware these usually take longer to break in.

How committed to playing is she?
Older one has a pretty tight knit class of competitive, athletic girls that play a whatever sport is in season in a very very small school. My daughter is not extremely competitive or gifted but she has a blast with her friends. Time will tell what happens as they get older and things get more competitive. Little sister is totally different. When I told them that they may be on the same team at some point big sis said "I don't want to be on a team with my little sister" little one got mad and said "If we are on the se team I can't beat her!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee