Softball Conditioning - Are You Doing It?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just wrote a blog post on the major benefits of softball conditioning. What I find is that most coaches and people kinda know it is important. Yet, a lot of people don't do enough of it.

Why? I believe it is a mix between not believing softball conditioning is important enough, not knowing enough about it, lack of time, and lack of motivation.

We are just starting the new year, make sure you sell your players (or yourself on how important it is).

Key points:

1) You need to do it at least twice a week.
2) You need to do regularly over an extended period of time.
3) No need to do a lot of it but just a bit of it will give you results.

Suggestions:

1) Do speed and agility stuff as part of an extended warm-up in your regular practices.

2) Design drills that are challenging and will work on the stamina of your players. Here are two good softball conditioning drills.

3) Do some form of strength and power work in the last 10-15 minutes of your pratices. It is best done in a circuit fashion when your players are moving form station to station. You can do things like lunges, push-ups, dips, abs and core work, lower back work, butt raises, step-ups, medecine ball work, etc.

If you want a customized softball-specific program for your or you team, just follow the link.

The key message here... don't neglect softball conditioning and integrate it into your routine. No need to do a ton of it if you are running out of time, just do a bit of it consistently and you will get some serious benefits still.

Are you doing some form of softball conditioning? If so please share what you do with us. Others might benefit from your ideas.

Marc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45