Soft toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
For the longest time when I soft toss to DD, after her tee work, I give her 5 quick ones, so she goes rapid fire. her hitting coach does this too. Then just today it dawned on me, I have her set up for each toss like she was at bat, one at a time. Is the rapid fire approach a good technique, after the tee work? Should I stick with rapid fire or toss em one at a time?

Jun 11, 2013
I get why some don't do it, but at the same time I think that we put so much time into the swing but just as important is the hand eye required to actually hit the ball. I wouldn't do half a session with it, but a few quick ones doesn't hurt anything.

Mar 7, 2020
I get why some don't do it, but at the same time I think that we put so much time into the swing but just as important is the hand eye required to actually hit the ball. I wouldn't do half a session with it, but a few quick ones doesn't hurt anything.

It does hurt if it reinforces a bad swing. Just like TC Balls , and wiffle balls, both pitched with an arc.

Jun 11, 2013
If your mechanics get ruined by 5 swings at the end of a training session you have a lot more work to do.

May 12, 2016
If your mechanics get ruined by 5 swings at the end of a training session you have a lot more work to do.
If it's only 5 swings, then it's pointless. Regardless might as well be doing something productive with those 5 swings. I've seen younger hitters change their mechanics without thinking about it from one AB to another. So more drills to instill consistency makes sense to me, not ones that make them rush their swing with mechanics breaking down

Practice what you are going to see in a game. To many players have a great tee swing. And can’t square up a ball that is pitched. focus on fixing the swing at a pitched ball full speed. everything else is working on a problem she is not going to see in a game. Unless you can talk the other coach into coming up close and soft tossing it to your DD

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
DD once went to a tryout where the coach did that, and it wasn't just a few at the end. I wasn't impressed, and no one I know who is respected for their hitting instruction does that. It may not wreck a swing, but it accomplishes nothing.

Bottom line: rapid fire swings aren't necessary or even productive to building hand-eye coordination, and there are far better ways to build strength.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom