Soft Toss vs Live Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Here are videos of my daughter: one doing front toss, second live hitting. Any thoughts on how to take front toss mechanics and apply to live pitching when batting?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Not sure what you're asking. The swing should be the same. BTW...nice looking swing for a younger kid, and nice looking pitch by the old guy. It won't be long before you won't want to stand out there without a screen. How's the living room holding up to that indoor BP?

Oct 2, 2017
Not sure what you're asking. The swing should be the same. BTW...nice looking swing for a younger kid, and nice looking pitch by the old guy. It won't be long before you won't want to stand out there without a screen. How's the living room holding up to that indoor BP?
I guess I'm asking, tips on how to get her to take what she does at home practice session into live pitching during games etc.. She tends to coil better, have better hand path, connection etc. During our home sessions than during practice or games.

The play room is in rough shape. Needs major renovation. We've had a few things happen that the wife was pretty upset over lol. I'm tossing golf ball size wiffels. So that helps.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just keep working and reinforcing the correct pattern. Tee work has essentially zero variables. Front toss has some. Games have even more. Dealing with those variables tends to break down the swing to the basic muscle memory pattern. Keep practicing until it's always right. It will take a few years. "A few" might be an understatement. ;)

She might be a little young for this, but I have had some success with having them pay attention to how their swing feels when they do it right in practice, and then telling them to make it feel like that in a real game.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
It looks pretty good right now for her age. Seriously, in response to your question just be aware of it. Develop cues you can remind her of (coil or show the pitcher your pocket or whatever). And remind her of the cues in the front toss and live swings. That way you have a measuring stick when you review video together. Be patient, stick with it, it will come.

Oct 2, 2017
Out of curiosity, how much of a size difference is there in those 2 bats?
Very good observation. The green bat is a tee ball bat. It's what we had. Normally I try to practice with her normal. Bat which is 28oz, -12 or 11. So I know that plays a factor

Jun 8, 2016
Very good observation. The green bat is a tee ball bat. It's what we had. Normally I try to practice with her normal. Bat which is 28oz, -12 or 11. So I know that plays a factor
Ok, I thought I was seeing things for a second there..LOL!! I don't necessarily know what specific mechanics you are talking about when you say there are differences, but if one of the things you are seeing is early leveling, with my DD the more timing comes into play the worse it gets. Off the tee she has no issues. If I front toss from close not quite as good but once she gets into a game facing a pitcher throwing windmill from 37 feet it is the worse. The more difficult the timing aspect, the more likely the ingrained mechanics are going to show up. You just have to get her to the point where those mechanics are the ones which you desire...I feel your pain in that regards.

Aug 20, 2017
Stand behind a pitching screen and go through a windmill pitching g motion and have her hit off of a tee. Make sure her timing is good, getting some negative movement on pitchers movement and the stride is able to be slow. It will help her with getting going slow and early and should make her more comfortable against live pitching

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28