So your DD is going to pick up the phone and call a college coach... What should she say?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
As the title basically says it all, what should she say when she talks to a coach for the first time? This would be the head asst coach, the head coach does not publish her number. However, this coach is the batting coach and that's my DD's largest selling point. So would appreciate some tips on what she should say. (She's a '21 so they should be able to talk freely.)

Oct 5, 2015
As the title basically says it all, what should she say when she talks to a coach for the first time? This would be the head asst coach, the head coach does not publish her number. However, this coach is the batting coach and that's my DD's largest selling point. So would appreciate some tips on what she should say. (She's a '21 so they should be able to talk freely.)

Life. What she likes to do in her free time, how school is going? What is her favorite Netflix show? The team is interested because they have either seen her on video or in person and want to get to know her on a personal level. They know she is nervous as she is 16 or so talking with an adult.

You may want break down topics in to various categories and talking points but I do think one item that should be asked right away is where they are in the recruiting class and have they had any commits so far.

Also, she may want to ask if her current grades or test scores fall in the range of what they are looking for. I assume so otherwise they wouldn't be talking

I would suggest your daughter look at the current roster or last year's roster to understand the types of majors and if it aligns to her interest or ask if there are any types of majors that would conflict with team practices such as labs if there is interest in science.

If anything like my daughter, she will write a virtual script, spend hour(s) on its have a pretend phone call with me as "coach", stress over the call and then she will walk out of her room in like 5 minutes with the call over, having addressed virtually nothing from her script. :)

Calling coaches was my daughter's favorite activity <sarcasm> but it eventually got a little less stressful.

Good luck

Apr 16, 2013
Be prepared to leave a message, unless the coach is expecting your call.

So, for my DD she called and got an answer. The head coach does not list her phone #, however the #2 does and he's also the batting coach. If she gets an offer anywhere, it will be for her bat and everything else second... so she wants to talk to him anyways. That being said, he said he was actually at practice and to send him a text and he'd get back to her. She did, and he didn't. Personally, if someone says that and they don't call back, I never attempt to talk them again. They don't want to talk to me if I wasn't important enough to call back, at which point I forget they exist. What about this instance though? He's sent her a personal camp invite in regards to her regular emails, vs a canned response. Should she still try again? This is coming from an introverted girl and an introverted family. Calling someone is like nails on a chalk board to her; but also a skill that's missing from youth these days. I just don't want her to "push" and I don't know what that line is.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
She should push...if she really wants to go to that school. Did he say specifically when he would get back to her??? If she doesn't try, the coach will find someone who tries harder. These coaches want kids that REALLY want to go their school and show initiative. You need to find out where they stand with regards to your DD. You want to push for a campus visit. That will gauge realistic interest. Has the TB coach reached out to this program?

We have a new girl on our team that has been attending camps at a D1 school for the past several years. The college coach is at our showcase, and I begin talking to him about this player which he knows her very well. I ask him where they are with their 2021's, which he says we are pretty much done. Okay then, where do you stand with my player? He politely says that they already have a player like her which is saying they aren't interested. I say thank you very much for the info. Coach goes on to say, I know your kid is signed up for a pitching camp coming up. She is welcome to come but I would be happy to refund her money. At the end of the day, I talked to the family. I say I have good news and bad news. Bad news is they are done with your recruiting class. The good news is you can mark them off your list and move on. The parents were very Thankful!

Apr 16, 2013
She should push...

Thank you very much for this info. Is there a best time to call a coach? She tried last time around 4ish when he answered and said he was at practice. No specific time he said he'd call back though.

TB coach calling... no. And I'm extremely unhappy with him in this aspect. He said he'd call, but no calls have been made as far as I'm aware of. I have several other teams that seem to have a good record of working with college coaches just chomping at the bit to have her on their team, but at this point she likes the girls on this team and doesn't want to leave. Our final showcase is in another week and a half. I'm going to push him some more to please call and have those conversations. 2 different school's camps coming up in Dec, one for 200 dollars and the other (her #1) for 125. Right at Christmas time, 325 bucks is a serious gut punch... ESPECIALLY if they're not overly interested.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Thank you very much for this info. Is there a best time to call a coach? She tried last time around 4ish when he answered and said he was at practice. No specific time he said he'd call back though.
If she has his cell phone, have her text him a good time to call or email him.

Nov 18, 2013
Before read the media guide on the team’s website. This will give her some level of familiarity with the school and make a good first impression. For the call, say hi and give coach her name, grad year, position and who she plays for. Tell coach she’s interested in playing softball for his school and why.

Don’t assume they’re not interested. Don’t worry about offending them. The worst they can say is no, and then you move on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812