So, tell me your theories on stealing.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Let's say for 14U and up.

Your lead off batter, who is really fast gets on first base her first time up. Are you sending her every time?

Straight steal of 3rd? Is that even a thing without your batter committing interference which you hope goes uncalled?

Tell me your theories on stealing. You don't need to limit yourself to the two questions above.

Jun 20, 2015
why mention batter having to commit interference?

runner needs to read and react to all pitches, certain counts better to steal than others. As well as what you are calling the batter to do.

Apr 20, 2015
Depends on your version of really fast. If shes under 2.7 then Yes to taking 2nd. Maybe not first pitch but she's going. She's going to make it 2 second 95% of the time. Then the next question is whos up and how many outs. A kid that fast can easily score on a solid base hit. If your batter is more likely to hit a long fly ball or a soft shallow single shes likely going to take 3rd. Some of that will depend on where the defense is. A kid less than 2.7 will often beat the ss to third so if its looking like that's the coverage then shes gone. If the 3rd base is back protecting against the steal then maybe not. Dd stole 27 bases this fall and was thrown out twice once at 2nd once at 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It depends. If I know or observe a below average catcher then she is going first pitch.

I see stealing 3rd as a surprise play that works often. That "oh shirt" half second is real.

Questions:
Runner starting with one foot behind the bag? running start?
How are we timing the jump? Anybody using pitchers heel coming off the ground?
Does anybody consider where the catcher is setting up? More likely to go on an inside pitch?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Early in the game...make them stop you. Don't limit yourself to that "really fast" lead-off. Keep trying with anyone with average or better running/sliding ability until you figure out how good the catcher & infield is. Calibrate that to what you do later if/when it's close.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Straight steal of 3rd is hard with a defense that is paying attention.

2nd is different. Early in game I do not mind taking a chance at 2nd with the right runner on 1st too see if we can abuse them.

May 17, 2012
Stealing is not advised unless you are supper efficient at it. I forget what the percentage you need to steal at (80%?) but if you can't steal at that rate you are wasting outs.

Additionally the value you are getting for stealing a base is really small. It was something like you needed 4 stolen bases to expect one additional run.

Jun 8, 2016
Additionally the value you are getting for stealing a base is really small. It was something like you needed 4 stolen bases to expect one additional run.
For the case of no outs and stealing second, divide 1 by the difference in the run expectancies for runner on 1st with no outs and runner on 2b with no outs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee