So now you verbaled

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2014
So now your 2021 verbaled early to a D1 school what are the rules from both sides?

Is the offer in an email or writing?
what are the communication rules?
How often do you visit official and not official?
Can you ask them or are they allowed to tell you what to skills to work on?
Can they give you a program to follow?
Can you work out with the team?
Can you talk to them at games?
Do you have to go to the camps?
Can you go to other camps multi school?
Etc. Etc.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
So now your 2021 verbaled early to a D1 school what are the rules from both sides?

These answers are for D1 - some other classifications could vary.

Is the offer in an email or writing? No, and as Cannonball said, it's not binding for either party.
what are the communication rules? No change from before the verbal. They can call/text during allowable time.
How often do you visit official and not official? 1 OV per school. Can do up to 5 in D1. Un-official as many as you like. OV is usually happens in the fall of the senior year, most times before the NLI, but not always. They generally wont OV your kid during their season (Spring).
Can you ask them or are they allowed to tell you what to skills to work on? Yes
Can they give you a program to follow? No (they will after the NLI, probably after HS Graduation)
Can you work out with the team? No
Can you talk to them at games? Yes, but they may not talk back. Depends on calendar.
Do you have to go to the camps? No
Can you go to other camps multi school? Yes, nothing is stopping you or them from looking.
Etc. Etc.

see the answers above - also we continued to contact the coach and let them know her TB schedule. We also attended their camps. After my daughter verballed, we were still recruited by some other schools (and had other offers). Most schools will however not continue to recruit your kid. And again, like Cannonball said above, nothing is binding until you sign the NLI during the fall of your kids senior year.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
see the answers above - also we continued to contact the coach and let them know her TB schedule. We also attended their camps. After my daughter verballed, we were still recruited by some other schools (and had other offers). Most schools will however not continue to recruit your kid. And again, like Cannonball said above, nothing is binding until you sign the NLI during the fall of your kids senior year.

Remember that statistically there is about a 1 in 4 chance the coach will leave the college THIS year and a 1 in 3 chance they will be gone before your DD steps on campus.

And just because they have been there forever doesn't necessarily mean they are exempt from the above. And it happens because they see a a chance to move up to a 'better' program as much as they are are released for not performing.

Feb 26, 2016
Murfreesboro, TN
Remember that statistically there is about a 1 in 4 chance the coach will leave the college THIS year and a 1 in 3 chance they will be gone before your DD steps on campus.

And just because they have been there forever doesn't necessarily mean they are exempt from the above. And it happens because they see a a chance to move up to a 'better' program as much as they are are released for not performing.

Good points. I meant to add this to my response but forgot. :)

Nov 18, 2013

This is an estimate, but I’d add there’s about a 80% chance the coach that verbals a girl will be gone before she graduates college.

Commit to a school. Not the coach.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

I have shared this before, but this is so important to understand and expect.

DD committed to her school Nov of her Jr year. In less than a week, the coach called her to let her know that he is taking on Asst job in the Big12. New very experienced coach comes does a decent job as the Interim Head Coach. That summer she is not offered the Full Time job. 3rd coach comes in and is into his 2nd season. So yea, 3 coaches before she steps foot on campus!

Non softball parents would ask, hey you can change your mind right? Sure, but do you know of a better fit for my DD? She committed to the school not the coach!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802