So, Mom and Dad are walking....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2015
My daughter gets bored out of her mind when they play the easy wins. If she's lucky, she gets one hittable ball a game, and usually nothing to field. I'd rather see them get beat down and play really tough competition, and I think she'd agree with me. Every game has a teachable moment, but sometimes it's really hard to find one when it's 20-0

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This weekend DD's team won their first tournament that had any real competition..nice shiny trophy they got. But the best part of the tournament,
and my trophy, was that some team left an almost brand new leather softball lying around the practice area. I was glad
DD's team go to the championship game since I didn't want to snatch it until every team had left, and nobody did. Almost made up for the gate fee. Win!!

It's like finding a brand new ProV1 ball in the woods when playing golf! Those are called Pearls.

Last year my DD hit a HR in HS and I am not the "chase ball down" guy for the HR ball. If someone gives it to me, I will take it. I didn't realize that no one went to get the ball, but as we were all walking back to the parking lot and bus I see a lonely yellow ball sitting in the adjacent football field past CF. I went against my better judgement and retrieved it. Score!!!

Nov 18, 2015
Sigh....its a marathon not a sprint. Kids get so much better losing by a couple than winning by a ton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And most of the time, at 10U, they don't even know what the score is. It's not until the game is over are 1/2 of them asking "did we win?"

Feb 17, 2014
There are a lot of parents who go through this for the first time and need to figure some things out. I wish I could go back and redo some of what we did with DD's career. These parents will learn, I bet. :D

May 1, 2018
"if you not first your last"
I would rather lose 2-3. Nothing can replace the stress of a close game and how to deal with that situation. Blow outs you never have that stress.

Feb 3, 2016
Sigh....its a marathon not a sprint. Kids get so much better losing by a couple than winning by a ton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I use this "its a marathon not sprint" all the time with parents stressing over Softball.
Keep it all in perspective!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
It's another reason to be part of a good organization. Our coaches spoke with the parents as soon as we joined at first year 14s. They spoke about the importance of trading in the plastic for the level of competition that will get you better. Still nothing beats staring across the field from Mercado's A's on your first trip to IDT in Colorado. That beating will be a character loss and yes there are character losses. That's the moment when you look in the eyes of the 12 girls and can almost see who will use that experience as a tool to self motivate and who will fold up shop. I swear this sport takes a powerful intangible that without it, the kid just won't reach her full potential.

Jun 12, 2015
And most of the time, at 10U, they don't even know what the score is. It's not until the game is over are 1/2 of them asking "did we win?"

Our record for fall was 2-8. The AC told me after one of the wins - which you'd think would stand out w/ that record - one of our girls asked, "Did we win?" We're second year 12U! Too funny.

Oct 4, 2018
Lopsided stinks on both sides of the score.

"Ok girls, 23 home runs in a row and we tie this thing up. Let's do it!!!!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802