Snap the wrist, close the hips?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I bought one of those devises for some girls that had problems throwing overhand----not really sold on its value for overhand training.
I am going to try the drill demo'd on the clip just for my own analytical sake. Lots of gimmicks out there----I think I've tried most. Some work---some don't. This one is intriguing enough to give it a shot.
I really try to analyze whether or not the gimmick reinforces the natural movement you want to attain....does it train the body to do what you would hope the body would do naturally.

Jul 28, 2008
once again i find out

through a few yrs. of being around pitchers/coaches i heard this so many times. snap, snap and more snap.
i have even begin to do these with my dd. who would've thought that the snap doesnt have that big of an impact on a FB. man i gotta get some books and do some real self educating.

Oct 22, 2009
I bought one of those devises for some girls that had problems throwing overhand----not really sold on its value for overhand training.
I am going to try the drill demo'd on the clip just for my own analytical sake. Lots of gimmicks out there----I think I've tried most. Some work---some don't. This one is intriguing enough to give it a shot.
I really try to analyze whether or not the gimmick reinforces the natural movement you want to attain....does it train the body to do what you would hope the body would do naturally.

I use one, mostly for the kids that have been taught to snap up/hello elbow. They begin to throw high and then start leaning over to snap with the elbow to keep the ball down, and shove the ball out of their hand. I'll use it on them just so they get the idea of getting the release of the ball out with the hand/fingers and not the elbow. It doesn't take long and they start to get it.
So I don't use it on them long, and rarely in a full circle.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like Rick's wrist brace experiment and love to share it. I also like to share that there is no "e" in Pauly.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Have I said love this post?!

I can believe what Hal has posted relative to wrist snap.
I've done a little experimenting relative to what effect on speed does taking the wrist snap out of the pitch have.

It's pretty simple to do;
1. Measure a pitchers top speed.
2. Now place a bowling glove on her pitching hand (note that a bowling glove has an aluminum brace that doesn't allow the wrist to snap).
3. Now measure the pitchers top speed with the bowling glove on. It will take a few pitches to get used to the glove, but what you will find is that the pitcher can still hit within 1-2 MPH of her previous top speed. I have had several girls that can match their previous top speed.

I'd put more emphasis on the finger action for lots of reasons; speed, accuracy, and spin rate.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I have to bump this thread from time to time just to keep me from exaggerating the story as I retell it over and over... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee