Small Ball Tips

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
1. Practice and allow players to make base running decisions on their own. If they have to wait for coaches to think through, make decisions and give indicators then they have to translate and think through what they are seeing and all of that thinking/deciding takes to long.

2. Make it clear starting in practice that if you ask for a bunt, they better get it down or there is a price to pay after game. Otherwise girls will purposely miss their bunts so that they can hit. Understand that the first time in practice or game that you do the opposite and praise a girl for a big hit after missing a bunt they will know where your heart really is.

3. Practice what you want to have happen in the games proportionally to the amount of time you want to have them happen. Don't spend 5 minutes bunting, and 5 minutes practicing leads/dives/slides and expect that they will do it well in the games.

4. Allow them to take chances in practice pushing things for extra bases so that they learn how far they can push things like going 1st to 3rd on a bunt how far away from base left fielder can be without getting out.

5. Tell booster club from day 1 that this is the plan, and that you will get their sweet little DD thrown out on occasion or have their power hitting DD bunt now and then. Some will still grumble, but at least you will have laid the groundwork for other parents who then won't be garbage dumps for the grumblers because they will understand the plan.

6. Explain to the girls the statistics that you are most concerned with OB%, Advancing Runners and RBI's. Explain that sacrifices do not count towards batting averages so they don't feel like they are being punished for laying down the sac bunt when you ask for it. Be sure that your team meetings hilight those things so that they become the girls goals as well.

7. Make bunting practice competitive by drawing small circles on the ground in the area you want them to have bunts stop (first base line, third base line, in front of plate etc). Count how many times each player hits that target and make a big deal of the winner. Progressively make the circle smaller week to week to make them focus more and more.

8. Understand that many girls develop a fear of bunting because they are usually not taught correctly how to hold the bat and how to use their eyes to track the ball in and just "catch" the ball with the bat. For some it hurts their thumb badly because they hold the bat wrong. Start with the basics by teaching them and let them develop a confidence that they won't get hurt. You may have some players who play travel ball and have learned, or are comfortable doing it so don't make "your way" an issue for them. Let them know that the goal is the result and if they are successful you are fine with them holding the bat with their teeth and nose if they get their job done.

[Selfless promotion - check out www.GetDirtyFastpitch.com; 5 DVD series covers sliding, dive backs, slide byes, dive byes, aggressive base running tips, sac bunting including great drills to increase focus, bunting for base hits and slapping. Covers how to do each thing safely, drills to practice and what you should expect to see as girls progress.]

May 14, 2010
Unselfish promotion- Go to the website and purchase the 'Get Dirty' dvd's. Best money I spent in a long time! Easy to watch, easy lessons to understand. Druer does an excellent job on the dvd's.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
Dalton, my daughter and I sure would like to come to your camp. Memorial week end is one of the only times the kids get to see their grandparents. Maybe I can convince my wife next year.

BTW Dalton you need to edit your link and remove the semicolon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand