Slow Motion Video of Catchers Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 30, 2018
Hi everyone,

I recently attended a bunch of D-1 softball games, too slow-motion footage, and put it together into a video breaking it down.

There's four D-1 softball catchers, one D-1 baseball catcher and two pro baseball catchers shown in the video.

It's a good way to check out what's actually happening at slow speed at high levels of play.

You can watch it here on YouTube:

Hope it helps! Dan

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The transfers seem slow and segmented when viewed in slo mo. Thought there would be more of a flow. Kinda letting the velo of the ball take the glove hand rearward especially with no batter. Would you say the last catcher was the best?

Nov 30, 2018
Some transfers were definitely better than others, and the easiest transfers will be when the pitch is to the arm side. The best softball thrower - the girl in white/orange - got a pitch on the glove side on that throw that I recorded.

But in general, I think this talking point you mentioned is important in general - do catchers really flow through the throw as much as we thought? I think catching a high-speed pitch is task #1, and so there's always going to be some level of stiffness there in stopping a high-speed ball. So I don't think it's really realistic to let the velocity of the pitch take the glove backward - the pitch needs to be stopped, so there's always going to be some rigidity in doing that.

The best thrower in the group was the triple-A catcher, the second to last, in my opinion. He gained ground, was smooth and under control while being quick. I had an in-game throw of his but didn't include it because the batter blocked so much of him in the frame. The last catcher had some extra movement, counter-rotation that make it a little more of a grunt to get the throw on the way.

Good questions though - this is why slow-mo is so important; it brings a lot of "what actually happens" into view.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28