Slotting the elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
Appreciate the feedback. We will definitely work on it. Did a little bit tonight. She gets out of sync on an immediate barrel turn.

Sep 17, 2009
Go the other way. Put the tee high and fairly deep rather than low and out front as in the video. With that new tee position and in slow motion how would she get to contact while keeping hands above the barrel. With her current swing thoughts, she won't be able to. That should help her think about how to fix it.

One good thought: elbows in set up will form a big 'V' facing downward. Swing should 'slam the V' toward the pitcher while keeping the distance between the elbows fairly constant. That's another way to get the front elbow to work up as Shawn is advocating.

May 12, 2014
Go the other way. Put the tee high and fairly deep rather than low and out front as in the video. With that new tee position and in slow motion how would she get to contact while keeping hands above the barrel. With her current swing thoughts, she won't be able to. That should help her think about how to fix it.

One good thought: elbows in set up will form a big 'V' facing downward. Swing should 'slam the V' toward the pitcher while keeping the distance between the elbows fairly constant. That's another way to get the front elbow to work up as Shawn is advocating.

Thanks. A buddy of mine built a contraption to work on holding the space. In her mind she feels she’s holding it. Gotta love teenage girls. Lol. I’ll definitely use your suggestion of moving the tee in and higher. That’s a great idea

Last edited:
May 12, 2014
She seemed to do better tonight (at least in my non expert brain) with sequence, not necessarily swinging down on the initial movement, etc. She’s a hard worker so she’ll keep plugging away

https://youtu.be/SNOnqneB7qQ

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Couple of things:

1) I'd like to see her use her upper back more (elbow somebody behind you).

2) The position of her hands at launch is too far back imo. Should be nearer to being over her back foot

jkG7HqO.gif

Both of these things is causing her to push and be too steep to the ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802