Sliding help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
My teenage daughter has started sliding and landing more on her knee than on her calf / thigh. Every slide is now re-opening whatever scab was starting to develop over the huge scrape that's right below her kneecap, and it's now to the point that during a tryout last night, she "aborted" a requested pop-up slide into 2B, but then completed the drill with a single slide into home.

Obviously - the solution is "don't slide on your knee". She has another tryout tonight. Does anyone have any: a.) tips for bandaging the knee (I tried wrapping w/ athletic tape over the bandage this weekend - didn't seem to work, as it still tore off or rolled down after one slide) and/or b.) mental cues to help get her confidence back and slide correctly?

Aug 18, 2018
What a plain neoprene knee support sleeve? Not really for support but for a sturdy knee covering.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Work on the grass or slip and slide. Have her get her feet airborne jumping into it. Not dropping down if that makes any sense.

Oct 26, 2019
My DD wore Mizuno knee sliding pads until her technique got better and she was able to ditch them.

Nov 18, 2015
Towny - thank you. I've probably walked by these 1,000 times while wandering around Dick's. Another face-palming, "why didn't I think of that" moment for me.

I'll be stopping to pick up a pair on the way to tryouts tonight.

Oct 26, 2019
Towny - thank you. I've probably walked by these 1,000 times while wandering around Dick's. Another face-palming, "why didn't I think of that" moment for me.

I'll be stopping to pick up a pair on the way to tryouts tonight.
Those things were a good send when I taught my 10U team how to slide. I bought one for every girl. Now I think only 1 or 2 of them still wear them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812