Sliding: Does it matter which 'side' you slide on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
That's probably not the best way to put it, as you're not really sliding on your side. ...

But let's say you're doing a figure-4 slide. Does it matter whether it's right foot or left foot extended? Should you be proficient at both and adjust to where the ball is coming? Does one way allow you to get to the next base quicker on an overthrow?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That's probably not the best way to put it, as you're not really sliding on your side. ...

But let's say you're doing a figure-4 slide. Does it matter whether it's right foot or left foot extended? Should you be proficient at both and adjust to where the ball is coming? Does one way allow you to get to the next base quicker on an overthrow?

If you are using a Fig-4 and you need to pop-up, always on the left leg that way the pop-up will be face the runner toward the next base.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When you are playing college and you no longer have the cage on your face then yes it matters. Slide with your right foot forward when the ball is coming in from the outfield, and with your left foot when you are stealing a base and the ball is coming from the catcher.

Your face automatically turns away from the ball.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Correct. We were taught to slide with our face away from the throw. But now, with the cages, I teach just to kick up whatever leg feels natural and slide on your butt.

I hate to see those girls that scrape up their whole darn leg.

I just taught sliding last week to a group of 11 YOs. I had them hold eggs, so that they didn't drag their hands. They loved it and are now sliding, even when they don't need to.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO, the OP's question is in the same vein as "Should a player hit or throw/hit right- or lefthanded?" or "Which foot should be forward skateboarding or snowboarding?" Same as throwing, most kids have a dominant foot or leg. When teaching slide, I have them try to slide with each foot forward and chances are that they will be much more comfortable doing it one way. Stick w/ that way and teach them how to hook, fade, slide by, and pop up and you'll have it covered.

Maybe I just haven't noticed, but I can't recall any MLBer who slides "ambidextrously" based on the situation

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Good responses. ...

There are three schools of thought, and all make sense to me ...

If you are using a Fig-4 and you need to pop-up, always on the left leg that way the pop-up will be face the runner toward the next base.

Sliding on the left leg allows you to get to the next base quicker if there's an overthrow.

When you are playing college and you no longer have the cage on your face then ... slide with your right foot forward when the ball is coming in from the outfield, and with your left foot when you are stealing a base and the ball is coming from the catcher.

Your face automatically turns away from the ball.

Slide w/ face away from the ball, which generally means left leg on throws from catcher; right leg on throws from outfield.

But now, with the cages, I teach just to kick up whatever leg feels natural and slide on your butt.

Same as throwing, most kids have a dominant foot or leg. When teaching slide, I have them try to slide with each foot forward and chances are that they will be much more comfortable doing it one way.

Slide on the side that's most comfortable, as it's kinda like batting. Players tend to be better one way or the other.

If you slide with left leg extended, this might make you slower getting to the next base on an overthrow. Is this anything worth worrying about if you've got a good slider who goes in w/ left leg out?

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
What stage of development are you teaching? I think that's the important question. If you've got older girls who are proficient sliders, why not try these tweaks that others have suggested to see if you can optimize their performance? You don't have much to lose. That may answer your question above as to whether it's worth worrying about.

If you're working with younger girls who are a mix of decent sliders and ones who are still afraid, have them stick with what's comfortable and work on the fundamentals of sliding, then of popping up. The things gained by the direction you're facing with a mask on or the speed of your popup would be minor enough at that stage that getting the fundamentals down would be much more important. Some young girls may not even know what side they're comfortable with yet, and if they have pads I tell them to pad both legs to be prepared either way.

Amy, the egg drill is a great idea!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Correct. We were taught to slide with our face away from the throw. But now, with the cages, I teach just to kick up whatever leg feels natural and slide on your butt.

I hate to see those girls that scrape up their whole darn leg.

I just taught sliding last week to a group of 11 YOs. I had them hold eggs, so that they didn't drag their hands. They loved it and are now sliding, even when they don't need to.

Great idea! I do something similar that does not require me to make a stop at the supermarket before practice. As the girls slide, I toss them a wiffle ball that they need to catch as they slide, but I guess making them carry the wiffle will accomplish the same thing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What stage of development are you teaching? I think that's the important question. If you've got older girls who are proficient sliders, why not try these tweaks that others have suggested to see if you can optimize their performance? You don't have much to lose. That may answer your question above as to whether it's worth worrying about.

If you're working with younger girls who are a mix of decent sliders and ones who are still afraid, have them stick with what's comfortable and work on the fundamentals of sliding, then of popping up. The things gained by the direction you're facing with a mask on or the speed of your popup would be minor enough at that stage that getting the fundamentals down would be much more important. Some young girls may not even know what side they're comfortable with yet, and if they have pads I tell them to pad both legs to be prepared either way.

Amy, the egg drill is a great idea!

Great feedback, thanks. It's 14U, a mixture of '98, '99.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom