Slappers home to first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
Anyone have any numbers on what a division 1 slappers time should be from home to first? Also when timing a player when is the proper time to start the watch?

Thx

Mar 11, 2009
2.5 to 2.9 seconds. Soft slapping and bunting needs to be 2.75 and below, power slappers can get away with 2.75 and up. Time should be ball off bat to touching first base.

Mar 28, 2013
I think allot of people get the off the Bat times and sprint times from home plate to first mixed up. Most state their times when they just take off from home to first,that gets you the 2.6-2.8 times with most successful slappers but the bat pop to first is usually about 2-3 tenths slower. I was clocking some of the lefty slapper burners in the npf and they are around 2.9 with the bat in their hand. If the just ran the line it would be faster.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
FWIW:
Kayla Braud (Alabama) was consistently at 2.7 contact to 1B by my stopwatch.

DD is 2.83 contact to 1B per skills video and her first two steps are slow out of the box. Hoping to get that corrected.

I agree with Amy too. You will now fast once you see it. Speed is not only good for obvious reasons, but the added pressure on the defense causes them to make mistakes.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are a lot of ways to time a player home-to-first, so be careful and make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples. I think a good slapper would be 2.9 or less and a great slapper would be @ 2.7

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
There are a lot of ways to time a player home-to-first, so be careful and make sure you are comparing apples-to-apples. I think a good slapper would be 2.9 or less and a great slapper would be @ 2.7

Very true. IMO, the only time that matters for a slapper is contact to 1B. Stationary track start style timing is irrelevant.

Dec 28, 2020
I think allot of people get the off the Bat times and sprint times from home plate to first mixed up. Most state their times when they just take off from home to first,that gets you the 2.6-2.8 times with most successful slappers but the bat pop to first is usually about 2-3 tenths slower. I was clocking some of the lefty slapper burners in the npf and they are around 2.9 with the bat in their hand. If the just ran the line it would be faster.
Agree. I've imported video from TV and computer of elite college slappers into an app called Coaches' Eye and have come up with the same results....but I used contact point and first step out of the box after contact because I couldn't get video of them from all the way back at home plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802