Slapper attempting bunt with 2 strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Comp said all that needs to be said. A drag bunt is exactly that - feet are moving forward, bat has no swing in it. Why? Because it's a drag BUNT.

That is one reason why a slap-bunt is a deadly weapon. It is not a drag. They slap at the ball but stop the bat right before impact and just tap it. It is not a soft-slap and it is not a drag bunt. It is a slap with a bunt result. Tough for the umps to call that a bunt.

May 29, 2015
I’ll use the NFHS definitions to help ...

SECTION 8 BUNT, ATTEMPTED BUNT, DRAG BUNT
ART. 1 . . . Bunt. A bunt is a legally batted ball not swung at but intentionally tapped with the bat.
ART. 2 . . . Attempted Bunt. Any non-swinging movement of the bat intended to tap the ball into play. Holding the bat in the strike zone is considered a bunt attempt. In order to take a pitch, the bat must be withdrawn–pulled backward and away from the ball.
ART. 3 . . . Drag Bunt. A drag bunt is attempting to bunt the ball by running forward in the batter's box, carrying the bat with her. The movement of the bat is in conjunction with the batter's forward movement.

I’d call particular attention to the definition of drag bunt. With a drag bunt, the batter’s body motion is what is pulling the bat through the zone. With a slap attempt, it is wrist/arm action that is pushing the bat through the zone..

Jun 7, 2019
We've gotten into a bit of a side discussion as to the bat's movement, or lack thereof. As a reminder, Cornbread's OP was about a foul ball with 2 strikes NOT being called a 3rd strike if the batter's feet are moving forward.

"Was told if the feet are moving on a bunt attempt then a foul ball with two strikes is not an out"

Perhaps we can at least agree that this is just nonsense, and get that part of the discussion done with.

Also, I have seen kids execute bunts to perfection with both hands together up the bat, held as if she were going to slap. In my mind, I don't think the position of the hands on the bat (separated or together) has anything to do with the umpire's decision of whether it was a bunt or slap. It doesn't when I'm behind the plate.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
We've gotten into a bit of a side discussion as to the bat's movement, or lack thereof. As a reminder, Cornbread's OP was about a foul ball with 2 strikes NOT being called a 3rd strike if the batter's feet are moving forward.

"Was told if the feet are moving on a bunt attempt then a foul ball with two strikes is not an out"

Perhaps we can at least agree that this is just nonsense, and get that part of the discussion done with.

Also, I have seen kids execute bunts to perfection with both hands together up the bat, held as if she were going to slap. In my mind, I don't think the position of the hands on the bat (separated or together) has anything to do with the umpire's decision of whether it was a bunt or slap. It doesn't when I'm behind the plate.

But what if she’s holding the bat with her feet? 🤪

Good point (and fully agreed) on the hand positioning. I have heard people try to use that indicator, but it doesn’t work.

Jan 27, 2019
Why do things get so overly complicated? It's really pretty simple. If the bat only moves forward relative to the body movement and its only movement is up or down to ball level, it's a bunt

If the bat is moving with the arms/wrist forward toward the ball in a swinging motion it's not a bunt but a swing.

Hand position on the bat does not mean anything, walking, stepping, running, or stationary with the feet does not mean anything

Topics like this go on for pages because someone does not like a rule or wants it to read differently to suit their player or team. At the end of the day the rule is the rule. We can argue it all day long or for days and days. Still does not change what a bunt is.

Jul 24, 2013
this is the classic "umpire got it right but explained it wrong" situation. As was said, what is causing the BAT to move is what makes it a bunt or not. not their feet, or any other movement....

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
If you are slapping at a ball then stop before you make contact so you can just tap it...then you aren't slapping with a bunt
result. You stopped the swing so you are now bunting :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478