Slapper attempting bunt with 2 strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Feet moving, hand position moving forward in the batter's box all have nothing to do with if it is a bunt attempt or not. A bunt is an attempt to tap the ball slowly in the infield. A drag bunt is exactly that, a bunt attempt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2017
She didn’t move her hands up the handle but clearly tried to stop at the ball. Guess it falls under judgement call by the umpire but in this case the umpire told me her feet were moving therefore not out. She attempted the same thing on the previous two strikes. She was bunting IMO

Jun 22, 2008
Again, feet moving have nothing to do with being a bunt attempt or not. Had a girl do something similar in a high school game a few years ago, 3 times in a row foul. Dead ball out, here comes coach. But she was moving forward in the box. I don't care coach, all she did was stick bat out, she is out.

Jun 7, 2019
Again, feet moving have nothing to do with being a bunt attempt or not. Had a girl do something similar in a high school game a few years ago, 3 times in a row foul. Dead ball out, here comes coach. But she was moving forward in the box. I don't care coach, all she did was stick bat out, she is out.

Comp said all that needs to be said. A drag bunt is exactly that - feet are moving forward, bat has no swing in it. Why? Because it's a drag BUNT.

May 27, 2013
Guess it depends on what your definition of a soft-slap is. My dd was taught that a soft-slap is like a half swing at the ball to try and get it into the 5/6 hole. Definitely goes a lot further than your typical bunt or drag bunt. When she drags, she is holding the bat through the zone while in motion to “catch” the ball with absolutely no swinging action. On 2 strikes definitely would be an out.

If a batter half-swings (check swings) at a ball and makes contact while keeping still in the box it isn’t perceived to be a bunt on 2 strikes, so why should a half swing while in motion be considered a bunt on 2 strikes?

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
If it is judged to be a "slap" and not a "bunt", it is not an out.

Yep. It is a tough call for the ump and with the slapper moving and slapping at the ball it is tough to call an out. I have seen a lot of umps rule it by how far the ball travels. If it drops and rolls a few feet then goes foul and dies you might get a K called.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802