slap hitters speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Well heel plant would be more significant to me in terms of timing related to the swing but you have certainly chosen good models. Anyone have clips showing their swing with the pitcher in view? As far as a tenth of a second, momentum can disappear in much less time than that. Having said that, I agree a stride is not necessary for momentum development. The swing from heel plant to contact should be about a tenth and a half so a tenth of a second is significant.

Heel plant is more significant, this is why we term it "toe touch" as we don't want them to stride flat footed. I don't get too hung up with when they get to toe touch as long as it isn't too late (or extremely early). I might tell them to use "12 o'clock" as a cue, but the reality is that they get to toe touch much later. If I tell them to wait until the ball is 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to home they'll never get there in time.

May 12, 2008
OK, you're teaching cues rather than reality. Nothing wrong with that as long as your instructors understand that and you eventually educate the hitter so they don't pass along a cue as reality to someone else someday.

May 13, 2008
Wherever possible I try to get my girls to see and feel what they're doing so they can self correct as needed. There are a lot of cues that we can use to help that. I also explain why we do what we do, but I'm not sure they always get it, remember it, or care.

Just so I don't mislead anyone, I'm not an instructor. I'm a travel ball coach. I'm also fortunate enough to have access to a pretty knowledgeable hitting instructor. He works with Crystl Bustos.

Mark, Ifubuildit (Dana) knows him.

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
slap hitting resources

anyone have any good resources on teaching lefty bunt, slap, powerslap??? I am trying to teach DD, but quite honestly I am still learning too.

A book authored by Michele Smith titled Coach's Guide to Game-winning Softball Drills has drills and mechanics on slap hitting.

Here are several links you may be interested in:

Slap hit page1
Softball Instruction - How to Slap Hit

Slap hit page2
Softball Instruction - How to slap hit part 2 The Feet

Slap hit page3
Softball Instruction - How to Slap Hit Part 3- the upper body

You tube link:
Jessica Mendoza-slap hit
YouTube - Jessica Mendoza Softball Training - HIT: Slapping - softball : Softball.com

Hope these would help

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Good post Coach Lia, but not sure Jessica Mendosa is up to date with what Team USA is now teaching. Caitlyn Lowe is teaching the new Style. We use to do step 2. The Step Back or Drop Step. What I was told this summer. Team USA and many teams have countless hours of film on players. The Olympic coach we got to work with this summer showed us what cshilt posted and what Caitlyn Lowe is now teaching. If you have a slapper that can power hit, then she does not give away the slap. So we can hit,bunt,slap, power slap, all after going to toe touch.

May 12, 2008
Wherever possible I try to get my girls to see and feel what they're doing so they can self correct as needed.

Yes, helping them become their own coach is huge. Always fun when you see that start happening. Another reason why, though any cue can be golden any given day with any given hitter, they eventually need to understand reality.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I work with Bustos and that is what she teaches. Keep in mind not everyone is a pro, they have a style that may only work for them.. We do not teach the extremes. We teach Toe Touch at the K position. So they are in attack mode.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
So what is happening between toe touch and release if toe touch is when the the pitcher gets to the K position ?

Why teach something you do not do your self ?

Is this some kind of developmental thing ?

Is this just for slapper/double threat types ?

Do you believe the hips stay square after toe touch up until release ?

Do you think this "early toe touch" is what MLB hitters do ?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
You know that we teach what is in RVP, since we work with Don Slaught. I have Read many of your posts and not going to get into one of these debates. You have your idea's and we don't agree. Do what works for you. I think I will follow what the greatest female hitter and her hitting coach teaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802