Slap Bunting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Hey I am a fairly small player. I play fastpitch 13-16 softball and was wondering if there were any slap bunting drills that I could use to improve on it. Thanks any help appreciated.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
How experienced are you with slapping? Are you just starting out, or are you looking to improve on a skill you already have?

I'm going to assume you're just starting out. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I will repl in another post.

The first thing to work on is the footwork -- particularly learning to run straight at the pitcher instead of toward first base before you hit the ball. I personally like taking a little "jab" step backwards, then crossing over with the left foot. Do it running toward a mirror, so you can make sure you are going straight, and keeping the shoulders in toward the plate.

Once you have the hang of the footwork, put a glove or mitt on your left hand and have someone toss a ball toward you with your hands in the hitting position. Do your crossover step and catch the ball in the glove.

Another drill is to put the ball on a tee and run through your swing. Then put the bat into the contact position, have someone toss the ball, and move the bat up and down as needed to make contact.

Those are a few to help you get the feel of slapping. Hope that helps.

May 12, 2008
Good suggestions. Google slap bunting drills would probably get you some more. Larry Ray has a video on slap bunting. You could reach him at the University of Arizona. My caution would be, unless you are 2.6 or better home to first, make sure you learn to drive the ball from the left side as well as play the short game.

May 9, 2008
Thanks so much for the drill of slapping off the tee. I had been thinking of that but hadn't had my dd do it. She has been working on slapping for almost three years, but hasn't had much of a chance to do it in games. Most of the teams we played last year just had slow pitching. I had her do some drills off the tee this week, slap bunting then slap hitting. The next day she slap hit a triple. Right over the right fielder head, it was sweet. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Jun 26, 2008
Wings!

Good suggestions. Google slap bunting drills would probably get you some more. Larry Ray has a video on slap bunting. You could reach him at the University of Arizona. My caution would be, unless you are 2.6 or better home to first, make sure you learn to drive the ball from the left side as well as play the short game.

If you are 2.6 or better from home to first you can get wings and take off! I agree that being versatile is critical as well as being quick/fast. How many 2.6 runners do you see, much less a sub-2.6?

BLB

May 19, 2008
Isn't slapping way overrated?

I've watched quite a bit of college softball on TV as well as attended elite tournaments, etc. If you take all the slappers at the College World Series and calculate their combined BA, I would be extremely surprised if that average would reach .050 on slapping alone. Also, the hits they do get would be hits regardless of getting an extra step or so out of the batter's box. It's like gambling. People only remember the times they won and forget about the many times they lost over time. How many slappers were safe on bang bang plays at 1st base during the College World Series? This would be the only time that slapping would matter. Kids see the very few who can consistently use this approach with success and everyone jumps on the band wagon. There are approaches hitters can use where you would gain almost as much time getting out of the box than what I see college players try to do. Also, if you can get to 1st base in 2.6s or less, why would you bother impeding your chances of making good contact by running towards the pitcher prior to hitting the ball? When I played, we had left handed hitters who would challenge the SS by punching the ball right at them and that hitter was out of the box as quickly as any hitter I've seen in these college games and they did not run or move towards the pitcher as the pitch was coming.

R

RayR

FWIW, I would work on drag bunting as you work on your swing. There is nothing peskier then a line drive hitter that can drag bunt. Keeps the defense honest. Drag your first time up and watch how close the D plays your second time up. That's when you line a ball past a pulled in D...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802