Skipped batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Likely waited for the improper batter to reach base, then instead of replacing the improper batter you have an out.
Not in this case. Not sure of the exact rule set here but if the batter hitting out of order took a pitch wouldn’t she be called out if you called time and pointed out mistake to ump? The batter doesn’t have to reach base to have a decision rendered does she?

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Is your Rec league crazy competitive or something? Do you not all know each other / live in the same town / play on tb teams together?

In rec, I would not wait for the ab to be over to try and get a cheap out, I’d just take care of it right there.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Is your Rec league crazy competitive or something? Do you not all know each other / live in the same town / play on tb teams together?

In rec, I would not wait for the ab to be over to try and get a cheap out, I’d just take care of it right there.
That's certainly your prerogative. But lessons are learned much quicker when rule violations are properly dealt with, not only for the coaches involved, but also the umpires.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Not in this case. Not sure of the exact rule set here but if the batter hitting out of order took a pitch wouldn’t she be called out if you called time and pointed out mistake to ump? The batter doesn’t have to reach base to have a decision rendered does she?
In this situation, the 6th batter is batting when the 5th batter should be batting. That makes the 5th batter the proper batter and the 6th batter the improper batter. The opposing coach should wait until the 6th batter completes her at-bat, and then appeal the violation before the next batter takes a pitch. That would result in the 5th batter being ruled out, and the 6th batter batting again.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
That's certainly your prerogative. But lessons are learned much quicker when rule violations are properly dealt with, not only for the coaches involved, but also the umpires.

Informing the ump of the violation while the AB is in progress is still “properly dealing with” it, while not being a crazy Rec coach looking for an out when the other coach probably doesn’t even realize he’s doing anything wrong, and making some 11yo who Isn’t feeling well and just got HBP get up again.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Informing the ump of the violation while the AB is in progress is still “properly dealing with” it, while not being a crazy Rec coach looking for an out when the other coach probably doesn’t even realize he’s doing anything wrong, and making some 11yo who Isn’t feeling well and just got HBP get up again.
Well, you're certainly looking at it from a coach's perspective. I'm looking at it from the umpire's perspective. "Properly dealing with it" while the improper batter is batting is simply bringing up the proper batter or, in this case, the umpire being informed that the 5th batter is out of the game and skipped over.

But waiting until the 6th batter completes her at-bat to appeal forces the plate umpire to understand and inform the offensive coach that the 5th batter is ruled out because she didn't bat when she was supposed to. It also forces the umpire to know that the 6th batter has to bat again. That, to me, is a much more valuable opportunity for everyone to learn (which is why rec ball exists) the nuances of the rules.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Have to agree if this was just a fall ball rec game then who cares if the girl came back in to bat? I imagine this is developmental in preparation for next year so if anything, discuss it with the opposing coach as a learning experience but let the girl hit if she is feeling well.

Jan 27, 2019
No, if it is discovered before the batter finishes her turn at bat she is removed and the proper batter is brought to the plate and assumes her count. It would not be an out unless she reached base safely. Then it is an out and all other action is nullified

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Well, you're certainly looking at it from a coach's perspective. I'm looking at it from the umpire's perspective. "Properly dealing with it" while the improper batter is batting is simply bringing up the proper batter or, in this case, the umpire being informed that the 5th batter is out of the game and skipped over.

But waiting until the 6th batter completes her at-bat to appeal forces the plate umpire to understand and inform the offensive coach that the 5th batter is ruled out because she didn't bat when she was supposed to. It also forces the umpire to know that the 6th batter has to bat again. That, to me, is a much more valuable opportunity for everyone to learn (which is why rec ball exists) the nuances of the rules.
This is the proper way to deal with it almost all cases, unless you are friendly with the opposing coach and the game is meaningless. Coaches, parents and players will learn from their mistakes and will learn to use it to their advantage when the game is on the line. It happens more times than you would be believe. When I see this happening, I tell the coach to wait to see how this AB works out and then approach the umpire AFTER the AB to address the infraction.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Have to agree if this was just a fall ball rec game then who cares if the girl came back in to bat? I imagine this is developmental in preparation for next year so if anything, discuss it with the opposing coach as a learning experience but let the girl hit if she is feeling well.
But I have a problem with that, since it's not in accordance with the house rules.

Again, looking at this from an umpiring perspective, I don't advise umpires to have a "who cares" attitude when we're on the field working any game, even a low-level fall ball rec game. The powers-that-be put out a set of rules that said when a batter leaves the batting order because she became injured or ill, she had to go to the bathroom, or whatever, that she is skipped with no penalty, but she cannot reenter the order. Dumb rule? Perhaps. But it is not within the umpire's purview to simply say, "who cares" and ignore the rule.

Yeah, maybe both coaches will be okay with it, but that's not why umpires are out there. We are required to enforce the rules as written. If coaches don't like that, don't take it out on the umpire. Take it out on those powers-that-be to get them to change the rule. If umpires start playing fast and loose with the rules, we put ourselves in a situation where we can be legally liable for anything wrong that could happen.

Let's say the umpire lets this girl come back into the lineup to play, which is against the house rules. And the girl then swings her bat and lets it go, hitting on-deck batter in the knee and breaking it. The umpire bears responsibility for allowing this player to reenter the game when she wasn't supposed to. Now we've got an umpire who could find himself/herself negligent in a lawsuit. Not a good situation to be in.