Skills Video Camera Choice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2016
I have a choice to use either a GoPro 6 or a DSLR to make a skills video. Which would you choose and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I would not recommend the HERO6. It is wrought with stability issues. Locks up and can corrupt files. Depending on what DSLR you are looking for, it is your most diverse option.

Oct 5, 2015
You may wish to consider game footage with spot shadow on your player rather than skills video. Both my kids had skills videos and game footage. The coaches they spoke with seemed to prefer game footage as opposed to the controlled environment of a skills video.

Feb 7, 2016
I would not recommend the HERO6. It is wrought with stability issues. Locks up and can corrupt files. Depending on what DSLR you are looking for, it is your most diverse option.

Completely agree! I have the 6 and it’s junk in the summer months. Waiting anxiously for your review on the 8 when the weather starts to warm up :).

Who am I kidding....I’ll probably take the gamble and just buy it once school ball starts and hope for the best!

Feb 7, 2016
You may wish to consider game footage with spot shadow on your player rather than skills video. Both my kids had skills videos and game footage. The coaches they spoke with seemed to prefer game footage as opposed to the controlled environment of a skills video.

Thanks. I did put this together if the footage I had.

Planning on doing an additional video of the standard hitting, primary, secondary positions. Decided on using the DSLR for that.

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks. I did put this together if the footage I had.

Planning on doing an additional video of the standard hitting, primary, secondary positions. Decided on using the DSLR for that.

I REALLY like this. Nice job. And a good new way to think about skills videos.

(One small quibble: maybe cut a bit quicker between the action/not use as much reaction/after-play footage)

BTW--impressive. I wouldn't run on her :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have a choice to use either a GoPro 6 or a DSLR to make a skills video. Which would you choose and why?

Skills video? You can use your mobile phone and get all the footage you will ever need at high quality. I used to use my DSLR's for these and have stopped because it is much easier just to use my phone and a tripod.

Between a GoPro and a DSLR you will always go DSLR. You can use multiple lenses or if you have a good 70-200mm zoom lens, it is easier to adjust to 'fill the frame' with the player and get multiple angles.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Completely agree! I have the 6 and it’s junk in the summer months. Waiting anxiously for your review on the 8 when the weather starts to warm up :).

Who am I kidding....I’ll probably take the gamble and just buy it once school ball starts and hope for the best!

We are about to update our official recommendation to the HERO8. It has not had near the problems that other cameras have had and takes really good video. We've started testing long recordings in a hot box (space heater to simulate high temperatures for long duration). Not a fair testing (meaning, it isn't a hot sunny day test) but is currently holding up with the HERO5.

With that being said, we have ordered the 1" sensor Insta360 that was announced yesterday. This is a modular type of device that many of our customers might be interested in; we sure are. 5.3K (@30fps) will allow for some digital zoom when needed. Will have to wait and see what in camera Field Of View adjustments are available and how that impacts the resolution (if it even exists).

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks, Josh! That’s good enough info for me to move forward on the 8. Always appreciate all the work you put in to help us make good decisions!

Feb 7, 2016
I REALLY like this. Nice job. And a good new way to think about skills videos.

(One small quibble: maybe cut a bit quicker between the action/not use as much reaction/after-play footage)

BTW--impressive. I wouldn't run on her :)

Adjusted based on similar feedback. Removed some of the fluff getting it down to 2 min and added a slow mo shot of her swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28