Situations/ Relays/ preventing extra bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Getting girls to understand situation and game management a lot of times it is not just CAN you throw the ball where it needs to go to try and get a girl out but SHOULD you throw the ball!

It is weird about this...kind of a "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

When they first start playing T-Ball, they are taught not to throw the ball too much. When they start playing 14U or so, they hold the ball too much.

With the 14U group, I find I have to encourage them to try. Many of the younger girls have been told "Don't throw the ball around!", are reluctant to throw the ball.

Apr 13, 2015
It is weird about this...kind of a "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

When they first start playing T-Ball, they are taught not to throw the ball too much. When they start playing 14U or so, they hold the ball too much.

With the 14U group, I find I have to encourage them to try. Many of the younger girls have been told "Don't throw the ball around!", are reluctant to throw the ball.
Softball is about being able to play catch...simple as that...teams that do that well, usually win.....making throws, catches, etc. Don't be afraid to throw it

Aug 7, 2019
Really cool handout, I printed it up to give to my daughter, pretty clear on what to do.
Yep...it's pretty in depth the only thing I changed was the bunt coverage. I wasn't crazy about our 3rd baseman possible fielding the bunt and then being responsible for getting back and covering third for the runner trying to take the extra bag.

Attachments

• Bunt.pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 22
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Really cool handout, I printed it up to give to my daughter, pretty clear on what to do.
Handout has lots of cool stuff in it. Dont just go to page 44. How about this poem:

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW, A NEW DAY I SEE. ON ONLY I CAN DETERMINE WHAT KIND OF DAY IT WILL BE. I
CAN BE SUNNY, BUSY, LAUGHING, GAY, OR BORING, COLD, UNHAPPY, AND GRAY.
MY OWN STATE OF MIND IS THE DETERMINING KEY. FOR I'M THE ONLY PERSON I LET MYSELF BE. I CAN BE THOUGHTFUL AND DO ALL I CAN TO HELP. OR, I CAN BE SELFISH, AND THINK JUST OF MYSELF.
I ENJOY WHAT I DO AND MAKE IT SEEM FUN. OR, GRIPE AND COMPLAIN, AND MAKE IT HARD ON SOMEONE. I CAN BE PATIENT WITH THOSE THAT MAY NOT UNDERSTAND. OR, I CAN BELITTLE AND HURT THEM AS MUCH AS I CAN.
BUT I HAVE FAITH IN MYSELF, AND BELIEVE WHAT I SAY. I PERSONALLY INTEND TO MAKE THE BEST OF THIS DAY.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Yep...it's pretty in depth the only thing I changed was the bunt coverage. I wasn't crazy about our 3rd baseman possible fielding the bunt and then being responsible for getting back and covering third for the runner trying to take the extra bag.

I really like our runner at 1B bunt coverage. Bunt down 3B line and fielded by P5, P2 (catcher) covers 3B to prevent runner advancing to 3B. Works really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28