Situational practice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 10, 2020
Is there particular situations that you go over first over others or feel more important to go over before others? You can also answer this question by stating what situations you think or more important to go over in a list from top to bottom. And we really don’t have to talk about no runners on, throw to first unless there is something important in which your average coach might not know. 12u. 10u. Thanks.
One of the questions selecting a team. Looked for coaches who would work situational scrimmages at practices.

Jul 2, 2013
Practicing situations which need work is great. Just blindly doing it all practice, every practice for 2 years when most games are lost because the fielders still need to work on their individual fielding skills..... not so much.

I feel like you've watched my DD's high school team play...

Jun 26, 2019
Please remember to develop pitchers defensively!

GO DEFENSE !

I seem to see this being missed a lot in my girls 12u games.

In baseball, that was one of the first specific defensive scenarios we ever practiced when I was young, year I see a lot of (12u) softball pitchers that need several seconds to realize they should be covering first when the first basemen fields the ball, or at least be ready for it. In my opinion, a pitcher should feel comfortable playing first base

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I seem to see this being missed a lot in my girls 12u games.

In baseball, that was one of the first specific defensive scenarios we ever practiced when I was young, year I see a lot of (12u) softball pitchers that need several seconds to realize they should be covering first when the first basemen fields the ball, or at least be ready for it. In my opinion, a pitcher should feel comfortable playing first base
Pitchers don't cover first base in Softball. There is not enough time and the base paths are too short. 2nd base will more than likely cover 1st base. I cannot remember the last time I have seen a pitcher cover 1st base in softball.

Sep 17, 2009
I see you are talking about 10U/12U. Getting outs should be a priority.

But if you can start OFs at those ages to hit cuts and infielders to understand how to use them to get outs and take away extra bases and catchers to get loud and call out home-cuts properly you will be way ahead of the game when those plays become more valuable at older ages (and deadly when not executed properly).

Nov 4, 2017
Start with this and Remind players regularly. The 3 "B's"

Ball, Base, Backup. In that order.

Every player has a job on any given play. First field the ball. If you don't have the ball, cover a base. If you don't have the ball or a base assignment back up the play.

I'm working with 8U girls, and mnemonics of any sort are huge at this age. 3B's is simple and applies at any age. Thanks!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802