Situation: What would you do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Every coach has different thoughts, doesn't make them wrong, just different strategies. (Best laid plans don't always work!) Ok, what I would do:
Us at bat: we steal 2B- this way, THINK you'll like this - works for me w/ a fast runner EVERY TIME: batter quietly gets deep in the box, left side of plate so her back foot is on the line pushing the catcher back further and squares to show bunt - (in throwing lane of catcher and catcher is 2.5 feet further back! better chance for a fast runner to be safe.) I want a chance for a hit to tie game.
Defense: Yup - runner at 3B is NOT my concern.. runner at 1B is and I prefer she NOT make 2B where a hit could tie the game. 2 things to think about: 1) what is my catcher's glove-glove time? Chances we can throw out the runner at 2B and end the game? EVEN if she is safe, then we are confident we still get the batter to end the game. Low risk for a catcher throwdown, especially w/ a backup at 2B. 2) Batter: do I think we can beat her with a weak ground ball or is my pitcher in a battle? If I have a lot of confidence we can beat the batter...... nope still throwing down because if we think we can still beat the batter, it doesn't hurt if the runner winds up safe at 2B. We play defense and take every OPPORTUNITY to get an out when odds are in our favor.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812