Situation opinions please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
16U ASA single elimination Sunday, first game of the day.

Bottom of the 7th inning, we are home, down by 2 runs with 1 out and bases loaded. #2 in lineup is up to bat and has not struck out all weekend, walking twice, 2 singles and a double.

Is there ANY reason for the coach to call a squeeze?

I will let you know what happened after I get some opinions.

Thanks

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
Yes, if the defense is playing at double-play depth, there's definitely a strong case for having some sort of bunt play going. If you've got speed at the plate and like your chances to get to bases loaded, down 1 with still only 1 out, you should take it.

However, if the defense is at normal depth which I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) means they're conceding a run to get the 2nd out, then I think you let your batter look for her pitch.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I could see it, if the defense made adjustments because #2 was having a great day. Maybe the corners were playing back to prevent a hit getting through. As a coach, you have to make quick thinking decisions in tight ballgames. Tough to criticize the coach without seeing the game play out.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Defense was playing at a standard depth with 3rd in a bit. Batter popped it up to third baseman for a double play.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Defense was playing at a standard depth with 3rd in a bit. Batter popped it up to third baseman for a double play.

By the way you phrased the question. its pretty obvious you were not happy with the coaches call. Hindsight is 20/20, and its easy to second guess the coach's strategy AFTER the fact. No one remembers all the "smart" strategies he/she imploys every game and every situation, only the few times the strategy dosen't play out as planned. The batter didn't execute the way she was taught, if she lays down a good bunt, the run probably scores and bases are still loaded w/ one out. It's a tough loss but I would commend the coach for playing aggressively and putting the pressure on the defense with a squeeze play.

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
By the way you phrased the question. its pretty obvious you were not happy with the coaches call. Hindsight is 20/20, and its easy to second guess the coach's strategy AFTER the fact. No one remembers all the "smart" strategies he/she imploys every game and every situation, only the few times the strategy dosen't play out as planned. The batter didn't execute the way she was taught, if she lays down a good bunt, the run probably scores and bases are still loaded w/ one out. It's a tough loss but I would commend the coach for playing aggressively and putting the pressure on the defense with a squeeze play.

I agree. Also the coach's decision may have been simply to work on a squeeze in that situation. I'm not sure about your team philosophy but it is fall and it's time to work on things not necessarily to win ball games. In addition, it's very easy to judge from the other side of the fence. 99.9% of the time there are a million and one other reasons unbeknownst to the fan, for why a coach makes the call he makes.

Aug 16, 2010
Coach may have wanted to get home in time to watch the football game?

I made the same call this Summer in the Finals on Sunday - except I called for push bunt past F4 because they were cheating aggresively on bunt coverage all day - it worked - scored 2 - we won. After game - the mom who's daughter was asked to push bunt complained that I didn't have confidence in her daughter to hit in that situation. You can't win for losing or winning sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802