Sitting on a bucket or stand for front toss

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure we are all talking the same thing.

Assumtion, front toss is about 15' from batter.

I am not going to say this right but a riseball does not rise. All balls are coming down a little bit.

So if you sit and throw over hand it seems fine to me, close to line players will see in game. If you sit and throw underhanded seems bad. Play slow pitch.

Standing From 15' I would throw underhand.

Again not sure which one is better then the other.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
In baseball, I can see how the angle of delivery for front toss could be pretty steep when standing, but we're not talking about baseball here. For FP, I'm not sure how front toss is made more realistic by sitting on a bucket where the ball is less than a foot off the ground at release. Stand and deliver a firm pitch...underhand, of course.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I am not sure we are all talking the same thing.

Assumtion, front toss is about 15' from batter.

I am not going to say this right but a riseball does not rise. All balls are coming down a little bit.

So if you sit and throw over hand it seems fine to me, close to line players will see in game. If you sit and throw underhanded seems bad. Play slow pitch.

Standing From 15' I would throw underhand.

Again not sure which one is better then the other.
Trajectory ~
Can start with
how many inches high is the release point.
Thats kinda simple enough measurements.
However its Visually different over vs under.
And the spin is different/opposite.

For underhand~
add my comments about pitch mechanics and spin as other visual tools.

As for rise...
Wether it actually rises
(not opening that debate)
It is a pitch that starts low and moves up.
And that visually takes seeing and learning.
( even for catchers)

Underhand is released say below knee 15" to upper thigh maybe at hip
30" max? Even say 35" max?

How high is overhand sitting on a bucket.
I'm 5'3.3" on a bucket low overhand just measured is 45"
And thats with a low arm and elbow.

Any below knee pitches would have a strong downward angle
45" to 15"

I throw lower pitches than that also. Because dont always throw strikes
On the opposite
A pitch starting at say underhand 20"/25"/30" height going up to elbows/shoulders 55" /60"
*can emulate a rise.

I'm bringing this up because hitting is more than just swinging.
Its seeing the pitch out of the hand!
And it becomes reading pitches!
That come with spins and trajectories.
Not everyone may want to address spin from their hand. But can get closest to accurate on release height. To then get visually inline with what we see in the game.

Strike2 good point of where release point is off a bucket underhand.
A taller person on a bucket could feasibly release about average height of a pitcher.?!
Even me on a bucket its still being released around the knee.
Thats visually similar...
Still i stand when pitching/toss.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
I have seen D1 BASEball practices throwing front toss underhand from standing. Not sure I have ever seen anyone throwing front toss from a bucket. I have seen a few folks throw overhand front toss in softball, but not from any reputable teams in our area.

And, I have to add that minus the effect of wind resistance differences (including from rotation), every ball (softball, whiffle ball, heavies) fall at the same rate. Starting trajectory, ball speed and resistance on the ball will dictate how much more drop is on the ball by the time it reaches the batter.

Oct 25, 2009
What if you’re throwing from 43’? Would overhand be a big issue? Can’t throw in the 50’s underhand from 43’ but I can overhand. I believe the speed benefit outweighs the release point.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I pitched over hand to players sometimes if I got tired, plus got to point I could not strike DD out anymore with windmill.

Ideally you want to emulate what they see in games but hitting is hitting.

You are good IMO.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
?
You usually prefer overhand?
For fastpitch?

SHOCKING GASP... :)

View attachment 19775

Matching trajectory is key~Agree

Then what up with overhand? :) 💁

Well, I don't think that standing underhand toss from 15-18ft equates to a pitch from 35ft trajectory wise, although velocity is also a factor. But I suppose I should take some video and take a look at this. Plus 10 pitches to 12 players is a 120 throws. But in the end it comes down to accuracy, I can dart throw the ball to spots better than I can when I underhand it. Ball spin is not a factor.

Jun 8, 2016
In college you see most BP being throw windmill from a shorter distance. At the younger ages I don't think it makes much of a difference. Work on their mechanics, move the ball around and change speeds, regardless of how you throw it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802