Single with 3 base error vs Home Run

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
So DD is playing this past weekend and rips a single to left field that goes through the LF's legs. We were fortunate to have no fence in this instance and freshly cut grass so that ball just kept rolling and rolling. DD scores. Mom next to me says "Way to hit a home run!". I say "That's not a home run, it's a single with a 3 base error". She looked at me like I had 3 heads. I could tell that trying to explain this would have resulted in me requiring an adult beverage afterwards so I just kept my mouth shut.

It never surprises me how much people don't know about the sport their child is playing.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
We had a similar instance on DD's high school team this past season. One of the seniors his a single with a 2 base error. She posted on facebook that she hit a triple. It was all I could to to keep myself from posting that it was really a single with a two base error.

Jun 12, 2015
My 9 year old refuses to take credit for a homerun if there were any errors that allowed her to advance. She almost seems insulted by it. You'd think the adults involved would know better too. haha

Feb 14, 2014
That's one of my pet peeves - when I see moms post the "my baby made a HR/triple/etc." video that really shows a single with 1-2 errors. However, dd9 still gets mad at me when I correct her misconceptions when she scores on a double with overthrows, lol.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My favorite is a dropped 3rd strike with runner on 3rd. Batter reaches 1st safely and runner scores and some idiot parent in the stands is yelling "nice RBI!"

Jun 11, 2013
At 10U if they hit the ball and it goes under glove I would give them an HR as normal effort shows they almost never stop anything. I don't if it's a grounder that they throw all around. I agree with OP about how some parents just don't get it. We played in a 14U tournament a few weeks ago and 2 times in the same game our hitter tried to run to first on D3K's with someone on 1B(< 2 outs) . Some of our parents just couldn't believe it was a rule. We've been playing with the same rule since 10U. Granted we don't see it happen very often, but still you would have thought by the second one it would have sunk in.

Dec 27, 2014
My 9 year old refuses to take credit for a homerun if there were any errors that allowed her to advance. She almost seems insulted by it. You'd think the adults involved would know better too. haha

My favorite is a dropped 3rd strike with runner on 3rd. Batter reaches 1st safely and runner scores and some idiot parent in the stands is yelling "nice RBI!"
Like Grcs says, if the kid is a player she has a standard to compete against. Many parents are just looking to root for their kid, or any kid on the team. We have a kid on our rec team that is having a rough go at the plate and does not have a hit yet this year. If a kid scores during her at bat I tell her she gets the rbi.(though we don't post stats) The other night this same kid got two rbi's in one at bat and a few games ago she got two on one passed ball. Speedster DD scored from 2nd on a passed ball following the runner on third. The ball bounced around a bit and C knew the kid would score on third so she relaxed. :) Either way, I told the batter she got 2 rbi's and she smiled. Any time I can make this kid feel better at the plate I am taking it.:)

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Hope this works.....Nope - you will have to click on it

You mean this isn't a home run?

[video]https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FCB SSports%2Fvideos%2F10153918377041773%2F[/video]

Jun 11, 2013
My DD is like grc's. She only counts true HR's. She has learned to not say anything as you never know if the kids you you tell
her 2B is not an HR because it may be the only one they ever hit.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I was at the university club softball World Series last week. Bottom of the 8th Ohio State has bases loaded and the batter hits a long fly ball. The OF was playing in. The ball goes over the CFs head. As soon as it hit the ground the defense starts running in, game over. OSU players are all in the middle of the field jumping around. The batter continues around the bases and touches home. 2 parents are hugging and jumping up and down yelling she hit a home run. You would think by the time your dd was 20 you would know better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28