Single hinge catchers mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Is the CMW3001 the only option? Looking due to the added thumb protection (vs. double-hinge). It hasn't been an issue yet - but from personal experience, I'd like to keep it that way as she continues to play.

May 23, 2015
Work on receiving. Make sure she has good timing and knows how to truly catch the ball. That will eliminate a mountain of thumb injuries

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Work on receiving. Make sure she has good timing and knows how to truly catch the ball. That will eliminate a mountain of thumb injuries
I completely agree with this, but.....and I know this from experience, 60 to 63 mph rise and curve balls with LATE sharp break will not always be squared up in the pocket! And then there’s those lightly nicked foul balls that love to track down a thumb!

The single break and excellent thumb protection on my CMW3000 has saved my thumb more times than I could ever count! Of course I’m just a dad on a bucket and not one of the many incredible catchers I’ve got to be around for years!

May 6, 2015
if you want single hinge, I would give CMW3001 a try, DD loves her CMW3000, just got a CMW3001 to begin breaking in so it is ready (really will take a couple of months, she can hardly squeeze it new, and she HATES playing "catch" where it really is more like stop the throw with mitt and reach down and pick up ball). plus now they have two color options (all black, or two tone tan, she went with latter).

once new one is game ready, probably going to send out old one (really nothing wrong with it, just wanted backup ready to go) to get relaced , never really did like the stock lacing.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2015
There should be the option to put a "dunce" emoji on you're own post - I forgot that the glove I actually own, and just recommended (Liberty Advanced) is single hinge. Doh!

So I had DD (first year 12U) hold it last night, and she said it felt too heavy (she's not a BIG girl, but not on the small side either). I'll try and weigh it. Does anyone have the CMW3001 AND Liberty for comparison? I imagine there's going to be minimal weight difference b/w the 33" gloves, unless I start looking at the mesh/super-skin backed options.

Or maybe suck it up and go mid-level for another year with a Xeno or UA while we break the All-Star in? (I'm projecting - she hasn't even agreed to the All-Star yet!)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Does anyone have the CMW3001 AND Liberty for comparison
Not a Liberty. I have a CMW3000 and a Vinci JCV-22. Both excellent mitts, the All-Star excels with the single hinge heel break and excellent thumb protection. The Vinci, almost to a fault excels with the over the top palm protection / padding!

Never weighed either one before, and really can’t tell a difference between the two.

I personally would take the All-Star simply for the shape it took during and after the break in. The Vinci is just a little odd with how the thumb closes. Strictly personal, both excellent mitts and I’d have no problem using either!

May 6, 2015
DD also called the CMW3000 heavy, but after a few cases of catchers thumb with her old mitt (this was at 10u with a couple of girls throwing low 50s on her team), she realized the added weight was worth it. anything with decent protection is going to be heavier than a mitt with less. very quickly they adjust to the weight (and/or build up muscle to handle it, not a bad thing ). When I started talking to DD about breaking in a second mitt (since it can take a while), she insisted nothing but exactly what she had, so CMW3001 it was (saw no difference really other than color scheme). has a nice pop to it as well.

and if she really doesnt like it after break in, I bet you could sell it fairly easily, especially prebroken in.

Mar 28, 2020
I have a stupid question what is a single and double hinge? How do you know if a glove has good thumb protection? Sorry my DD and I are new to catching.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I have a stupid question what is a single and double hinge? How do you know if a glove has good thumb protection? Sorry my DD and I are new to catching.
Not mitts here, fielders gloves, same point though.

Note the single heel break on this NP6, it closes or hinges at just one point.
645E865D-3121-4FDE-BE8B-F1979C8D19DC.jpeg

Now note the square heel on this Pro1000, it has a dual break, it hinges at the thumb and also the pinky side.573F94AB-3C0E-415D-BA9D-84D0AFC3FF92.jpeg

Mar 28, 2020
Not mitts here, fielders gloves, same point though.

Note the single heel break on this NP6, it closes or hinges at just one point.

Now note the square heel on this Pro1000, it has a dual break, it hinges at the thumb and also the pinky side.

Ahhh that makes sense... thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478