Simply frustrated - opportunities for playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Yes! I’m also frustrated that I was stupid enough to fall for it this whole time. And now that I’m ready to run, my DD is saying she wants to finish the season (1 big road trip tournament left) because she made a commitment to the team and they might need her. It breaker my heart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be proud of her, that type of commitment may cause some temporary pain/setbacks at times, shows great character.

nationals last year, Dd saw her playing time overall and behind the plate drop significantly Thur-Sat, because she missed a mandatory team meeting called without notice at last minute (DDs and DW had tickets to a concert purchased months earlier). asked her Fri nite what she wanted to do, said we could pack up right now, and she said no, she would stay for her teammates and the one AC. I was Ok with whatever decision she made, but still very proud of her. of course she went on to catch 2 games on sunday because they played 5 games in 110 heat index weather, and had one of their two hits in 1-0 nothing loss in championship game (came in to pinch hit in last inning because team had generated no offense).

character shows through

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Just get out. Let her finish the season, then move on. Don't listen to the coach if they try to get you to stay, but there's no reason to burn a bridge. You don't want a coach asking about your daughter and having "she skipped the last tourney" as an answer.

And after the season, talk to the parents of the other three bench players. If all of you leave, it could give the coaches a message they need to hear, and if you all try out together, they might end up on the same squad, sort of solving the friends question.
DD's last Tourney ever, 3 Seniors decided not to travel. IMO selfish reasons. We had a very good finish, even without those players. You know what I will always remember about those players....they quit on their team. Finish the season and move on even if it sucks.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
DD's last Tourney ever, 3 Seniors decided not to travel. IMO selfish reasons. We had a very good finish, even without those players. You know what I will always remember about those players....they quit on their team. Finish the season and move on even if it sucks.

Yep, DD just did something similar. She was ready to quit the team on a Friday because she had gotten virtually no playing time in the past two tournaments. In the post-game pep talk, HC said, "I absolutely need EVERYONE here tomorrow because we'll be down 3 players due to the ACT." So, DD decided to stick it out one more day because HC needed her. Then she didn't play at all on Saturday and the ACT players got put in mid-game as soon as they arrived. I was super proud of her for sticking it out that one additional day in the 95 degree heat on the bench. Character. And she told HC that when she quit. He should be hanging his head with shame.

Jul 14, 2019
Yep, DD just did something similar. She was ready to quit the team on a Friday because she had gotten virtually no playing time in the past two tournaments. In the post-game pep talk, HC said, "I absolutely need EVERYONE here tomorrow because we'll be down 3 players due to the ACT." So, DD decided to stick it out one more day because HC needed her. Then she didn't play at all on Saturday and the ACT players got put in mid-game as soon as they arrived. I was super proud of her for sticking it out that one additional day in the 95 degree heat on the bench. Character. And she told HC that when she quit. He should be hanging his head with shame.

Well, we’re going to the tourney. 800 miles, 11 hours round trip, $700, 3 days and we’ll have character to speak for. She’s made a list of teams she’s looking at and we are done after this weekend.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Well, we’re going to the tourney. 800 miles, 11 hours round trip, $700, 3 days and we’ll have character to speak for. She’s made a list of teams she’s looking at and we are done after this weekend.

Man, I admire you for doing that. Ours was local, so not that big of a deal. Bitter pill to swallow. i totally get it.

Apr 26, 2019
I’ll try to keep this short, and will probably fail. Topic at hand: playing time, surprise, I know. We’ve been on this team for 1.5 years. It’s a second year 12u team. Originally, we made the 10th player. Team lost one and picked up 3 more so we sit at 12 on the roster. It’s the same 9 playing all the time, same 3 sitting all the time. If a “starter” sits, then it’s the same 3 who rotate filling that spot. We have consistently preached commitment as well as effort and attitude with our DD. She has approached the coach at least 4 times asking for feedback on what she can do to get in the field. Most times the response is “just keep working, you’ve improved greatly”. Additionally, she has put in the work off the field to make those improvements. However, she doesn’t get the opportunity to show the improvements. She attends every practice & performs at the same level of the regular 9. When asked what determines playing time, she was told “game performance & [the coaches] comfort level”. Ok, here’s my question...if you don’t get the opportunity to perform in the game, then how do you show game performance? We’re coming up on the last tournament of the season and DD has had the opportunity for 5 plays in the outfield. 2 grounders for singles, 2 line drives for singles and 1 fly out. While the others have made 2/7 catches in the outfield, some plays resulting in doubles and even ground ball errors resulting in 2 runs scored and a triple. What am i missing? Obviously, hits will be good and they are simply that, a good hard hit that yields a double. But these are plays that i have watched where they’re not tracking the ball and they get burnt, chasing the ball to the fence, etc to get it in. And it happens consistently.

We are going to change teams, that’s a given. But dang, what’s the secret here to be seen as a potentially great addition to your defense instead of assumed you can’t do any better than what’s out there?

FWIW-some on their starting 9 have upwards of 4 positions that they rotate thru. While they are great at some of them, some of them, they simply aren’t. And my DD is used as the DH, so hitting isn’t the issue.

Like i said, simply frustrated.

Are you me?

Jul 14, 2019
Man, I admire you for doing that. Ours was local, so not that big of a deal. Bitter pill to swallow. i totally get it.

Well, we went. Teenage girl squabbles, cell phones and one bully certainly are a recipe for disaster. Lessons learned this weekend, and one heartbroken kiddo who lost a bunch of “friends”. Not gonna lie, one pissed off mama here who also lost a lot of faith in humanity this weekend.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Well, we went. Teenage girl squabbles, cell phones and one bully certainly are a recipe for disaster. Lessons learned this weekend, and one heartbroken kiddo who lost a bunch of “friends”. Not gonna lie, one pissed off mama here who also lost a lot of faith in humanity this weekend.

Be there for your kid. The personal side of softball can be worse than bench time. Time will heal this stuff and if used correctly, the end result will be a player who handles adversity well and is mentally strong and knows deep down why they play SB.

Been there, done that in my DD's playing.. Use it to get stronger

Jul 14, 2019
Be there for your kid. The personal side of softball can be worse than bench time. Time will heal this stuff and if used correctly, the end result will be a player who handles adversity well and is mentally strong and knows deep down why they play SB.

Been there, done that in my DD's playing.. Use it to get stronger

She is so burned after this last weekend, i don’t know that I will ever be able to get her back on the field. When you see the same people every weekend, no matter the team you are on, i can’t say i blame her.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101