Simple swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
A little slower

giphy.gif

Jun 5, 2019
@big_bruiser Puckett hit with a bigger move at times.

Also, I didn’t say size and weight in my above comment, but I said “strong”. Look at Pucketts chest and thighs - the dude is built like a fire hydrant - strong as an ox.

I do seem to remember him having a higher leg kick than the swing in that video. He was a powerful man for sure but he was also very efficient!

Oct 26, 2019
I had to look up his lifetime stats because I was curious. .318 career batting average is pretty impressive. He hit .344 at home and .291 on the road. That turf definitely seemed to have helped some groundballs get through.

Jun 5, 2019
I had to look up his lifetime stats because I was curious. .318 career batting average is pretty impressive. He hit .344 at home and .291 on the road. That turf definitely seemed to have helped some groundballs get through.

I watched him play growing up he was an amazing CF!

Jun 8, 2016
He was a very good player. Too bad that it seems like he was an rear off the field.

Aug 20, 2017
sounds like you want to simplify as much as possible?
I posted here years ago that up and down was the method I was teaching. Five frames got all over me and some others too. Told me to stop posting that stuff because people will read these threads and think that’s what they need to teach. Teaching up and down with keeping the head still will allow hitter to be quicker to the ball. Is it ideal for power? No. Is it ideal for every hitter? No. Anybody that has taught hitting long enough has probably realized that less is more. Simplicity is most effective. You will get into the weeds real quick with timing when you teach load mechanics. My experience with The whole start early thing actually tends to slow hitters down. Trying to time the gather instead of timing the ball or timing the gather and then timing the stride and then timing the ball. That’s too much imo. I teach all my hitters up and down on pitchers with good velocity and Beat the ball to the spot. Up and down with good posture still allows for a decent load. There will be some negative movement when you pick the front knee up but I like to try limit the amount or rearward actions. Up and down and get forward on pitchers with velocity. It definitely limits adjustability though.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The swing in and of itself is simple in general. What becomes complicated is when everyone on here adds their opinion on what is important, what are the "check points," what are the "must haves," what are "the muscle groups activated,"(kinesiology) etc.etc. JMHO

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
posey-coil-stride-catcher-view.gif

I'm a no on 'widen up'. Coil hips and shoulders inward 45 degrees as you go forward. It can't be ANY simpler than that. There is nothing more simple, and more powerful than that. Or you start out pre-coiled like Babe Ruth and many others. Whichever feels good to you.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin

I'm a no on 'widen up'. Coil hips and shoulders inward 45 degrees as you go forward. It can't be ANY simpler than that. There is nothing more simple, and more powerful than that. Or you start out pre-coiled like Babe Ruth and many others. Whichever feels good to you.

I have over baked this with DD in the past. I agree on the hip coil, as far as it is helping DD currently. But I would argue the gif you show doesn’t show the shoulders moving. Maybe tilt down slightly but if you look at the number in the back jersey it does not disappear like the belt does as it coils. It seemed to negatively affect DD when ‘turning’ top too much. I see this hitter rocking the U pulling back arrow but not necessarily turning the torso. JMHO.

Aug 20, 2017
I have over baked this with DD in the past. I agree on the hip coil, as far as it is helping DD currently. But I would argue the gif you show doesn’t show the shoulders moving. Maybe tilt down slightly but if you look at the number in the back jersey it does not disappear like the belt does as it coils. It seemed to negatively affect DD when ‘turning’ top too much. I see this hitter rocking the U pulling back arrow but not necessarily turning the torso. JMHO.

This gif is a knee lift with good posture maintained. Look at the hinge in the back leg. Many on here say that is a “no no”. If you have good posture and pick your front knee up towards belly button without coming out of posture hip coil takes care of itself. No rearward movement

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802