simple effective bunt coverage for rec all star team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Bunt can be tough for 1st to make play, keeping them back and having pitcher cover right side is a good option in my opinion.

In general at 10U P is one of the best athletes, 1st usually not.

2nd to 2nd, SS to 3rd, of backup.

Sep 18, 2016
10u rec All-Stars my catcher DD did almost all bunt coverage. The corners were too big and slow, she is really quick and has a strong arm. So if you have an athletic catcher use her for bunt coverage when no is on 3rd.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Basic => Crash your corners...or...

If your pitcher is nimble and/or your 1B is not, definitely leave the 1B in place. From what I've seen, 1B fielding a bunt is pretty rare, especially in younger age groups. With a team that isn't used to playing together, fewer moving parts is better.

If F3 crashes, always cover 1B with F4. If F3 stays at 1B, F4 can cover 2B, and SS can cover 2B or 3B.

If there's no runner or lead runner on 1B, your SS goes to 2B.

If there's a runner on 2B or 3B, your SS goes to 3B...cover 3B to prevent a steal off a fake bunt.

The first thought for a play is 1B...or possibly Home if it's a squeeze. I'd avoid throwing to 3B or 2B for the initial out...even college players screw that up.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
The classic dyslexia post! 😵

Whatever you decide, those kids are smart enough to execute what it is that you wish they do.

Since you're the coach, my suggestion is that you define the play you want your defense to run in each live scenario. A combination number system (could be the positions you want in movement) can help your players to avoid as much confusion as possible.

An example is calling 15 (pitcher and 3rd), 35 (1st and 3rd), etc. If you want to add a secondary reaction to the play, such as a throw to 2nd to make a play on an overrounding runner, you can also add a tertiary name to the number combo.

You shouldn't need any more than 3, 4 or 5 plays. A couple 30 minute sessions over a practice or two is all you'll need. Prints of cheat sheets for each athlete.

Chris

Jul 14, 2018
Let me throw a wrinkle in this discussion, facing the same issue with 12U Rec All Stars. I agree that F3 will rarely make the play, pitcher is usually in the best position. Does that change if the pitcher is a lefty? Since a LHP is moving towards the third base line after delvery (and that's their glove side), should the defense shift to F5 staying home and all other fielders shifting right with F3 crashing? Or is this a clear KISS violation?

Oct 4, 2018
I think we all know and have witnessed that at young ages bunts can cause all heck to break loose on the defensive side.

Y'all may have more talent and discipline than we do, but when we simply let 3B and pitcher crash we get plenty of outs at first and when we give up a "hit", it's because the batter/runner beat out the throw to first. But we don't have overthrows, don't give up extra bases, etc.

Sometimes minimizing the damage isn't such a bad philosophy.

May 6, 2015
If you only have one bunt defense, you're essentially going to give up an easy/easier steal to the opponents at either 2nd or 3rd. If your middle IF cover the corners, any bunt/steal is a free base to 2nd every time. If SS covers 2nd and P/3B covers 3rd depending on who doesn't field the bunt, then you won't necessarily be giving up a free steal to 3rd, but it won't be as easy as keeping 3B back in that situation.

IMO, just depends which base you feel is better to protect. If it was me, I wouldn't give up 2nd, and would gamble that my P/3B could handle covering 3rd and hope my SS could at least deter them from stealing 3rd every time they got to 2nd.

OK, guess I am slow, but this has me confused.

I guess I am predicating things on if there is a bunt, we are not going to get runner going from 1B to 2B. if the concern is fake bunt, I am pretty good at reading (at least at the level we are playing at) when teams are going to fake (set up back in the box, show early), and was going to have a call in this scenario, probably just "IGNORE" very loudly, to tell team to play it straight (and if I am wrong, then girls have to hustle but I think we can still get outs, definitely 1B stays home in this situation).

and if they show bunt, SS is going to 3rd anyway (I was not trying ot get runner from first), so we should be able ot nail girl stealin 3B if bunt is not laid down.

Dec 20, 2012
Texas
OK, guess I am slow, but this has me confused.

I guess I am predicating things on if there is a bunt, we are not going to get runner going from 1B to 2B. if the concern is fake bunt, I am pretty good at reading (at least at the level we are playing at) when teams are going to fake (set up back in the box, show early), and was going to have a call in this scenario, probably just "IGNORE" very loudly, to tell team to play it straight (and if I am wrong, then girls have to hustle but I think we can still get outs, definitely 1B stays home in this situation).

and if they show bunt, SS is going to 3rd anyway (I was not trying ot get runner from first), so we should be able ot nail girl stealin 3B if bunt is not laid down.

Sorry for the confusion, but yes I was talking about the fake bunt/steal if the middle IF are going to the corners. If you can read it and know, then that's perfect, but It won't always be that easy. I just don't like giving them 2nd that easy if I was wrong about it.

There's no way you're going to take everything away with 1 bunt coverage. You need 2 at a minimum IMO, just to be able to defend a steal for each base. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable going into a game with only 1 bunt coverage because then I'm going to have to decide which free base I am going to give up.

May 6, 2015
Sorry for the confusion, but yes I was talking about the fake bunt/steal if the middle IF are going to the corners. If you can read it and know, then that's perfect, but It won't always be that easy. I just don't like giving them 2nd that easy if I was wrong about it.

There's no way you're going to take everything away with 1 bunt coverage. You need 2 at a minimum IMO, just to be able to defend a steal for each base. I don't think I would ever feel comfortable going into a game with only 1 bunt coverage because then I'm going to have to decide which free base I am going to give up.

thanks clearer now ;)

as for fake bunt/steal combo, I think we can at this level probably read it pretty good (rec all stars). girls will be further back in box, and probably show earlier. and if everyone moves to cover, CF will still be crashing to second as well, so if C throws, will simply instruct CF to make certain it does not get behind them at all costs, ie at expense of giving up base.

and I really think more than just basic will be too much for these girls, first practice last night (and it really was just to evaluate what they had), only 2-3 more before they start play, maybe if they advance. have to be careful not to overwhelm girls, since it is AS, lots of girls playing positions they might not have seen a lot of time at in reg season.

Feb 3, 2011
This sounds like a 10u question, maybe 12u. Rec all-stars, you say? 3B is primary on all bunts, then priority shifts to C or P based on bunt location. Get the out at 1B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28