simple effective bunt coverage for rec all star team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
combined team (girls played on two different teams in ref season, AS starts in 8 days, will only have a couple of practices. I feel the team needs one simple bunt coverage, not enough time to coordinate more than that (maybe if they progress)

corners crash, 2B to 1B, SS to 3B, CF to 2B. get the out at 1B, do not worry about runner advancing to 2B beyond trying to keep them to 2B, rather than turning and going to 3B. if runner on 3B, check back if time, if not get the out (obviously situationally dependent in late game scenario, but that will require a TO probably). 2B (covering 1B) has to be ready to fire to either HP, 3B, or run ball to circle. variation is if 1B is not that nimble, have 2B play between circle and 1B line, have 1B play behind base shaded towards 2B.

thoughts?

Apr 30, 2018
DD team has corners crash, 2B to 1st, SS to 2B if runner on first or no runner. Otherwise SS to 3rd. Pitcher runs to cover whichever base SS leaves open. Outfield crashes as backup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2017
Simple:
With a runner on 1B: pitcher gets 1B line, 1B stays back, 2B works toward 1B, SS has 2B, 3B has 3B line
With a runner at 2B: pitcher has 3B line, 1B has 1B line, 2B covers 1B, SS has 2B, 3B stays back

Now on a bunt and steal with a runner at 1B you must have the catcher or 3B Cover 3B if they don’t field the bunt

Your bunt coverages are based on where runners are located. Tough to have one coverage due to their being holes created Due to fake bunt and steals

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
You can try this, Corners crash, F4 cover 1B, F6 cover 2B, and either F5 or P covers 3B depending on who fields the ball.

May 6, 2015
If corners crash and SS covers 2B, I’m gonna fake bunt and steal 3B every time I have a runner at 2B
my DD would nail your BR ;)

but seriously, someone above had multiple scenarios. I just think we will not have enough time to practice multiples and ingrain it into them. that is why I was thinking letting a runner at 1B have 2B might be best. almost never going to make that out anyway. What the team needs to do is in order of priority

get at least one out.

stop run from scoring from 3B (this might move to #1 in late game scenarios)

stop runner from 1B reaching 3B

# 1 pitcher is going to overpower a lot of teams (she was pretty dominant in reg season against all the same batters she will face in districts), so I think they will try and go small ball, especially if they get a runner on.

Oct 4, 2018
Simple:
With a runner on 1B: pitcher gets 1B line, 1B stays back, 2B works toward 1B, SS has 2B, 3B has 3B line
With a runner at 2B: pitcher has 3B line, 1B has 1B line, 2B covers 1B, SS has 2B, 3B stays back

Now on a bunt and steal with a runner at 1B you must have the catcher or 3B Cover 3B if they don’t field the bunt

Your bunt coverages are based on where runners are located. Tough to have one coverage due to their being holes created Due to fake bunt and steals

What age are the girls?

At 10U we leave the 1B on the bag. Pitcher and third crash. 2B covers second and SS covers third.

We simply found too often that 2B didn't get there on time. Or was spacing out. Or the girls all get bunched up all trying to get the bunted ball.

KISS -- keep it simple, you'll still get plenty of outs without 1B crashing and you leave the person best able to catch, stretch, scoop covering first. We made a lot of bad errors and brain farts trying to have 2B cover and learned they just weren't ready.

Nov 18, 2015
Keep it simple, as you said - you have minimal practice time with these girls.

Ignore the runner on 1B - way, way too risky to even try to throw to 2B. I think what you have is pretty standard - corners crash, MI's cover corner bases, RF backs up 1B, CF covers 2B, LF backs up 3B.

I don't know about your slow 1B scenario - if they're too slow to cover a bunt, why shade them towards 2B and risk them not getting back to 1B in time?

ETA: Or what Drew said.

May 16, 2016
At 10U we leave the 1B on the bag. Pitcher and third crash. 2B covers second and SS covers third.

Agreed. For 10u AllStars, I would play this way. Unless you can practice this a lot, leave 1st on the bag, as Catcher or Pitcher will field most of the bunts anyway.

Dec 20, 2012
Texas
If you only have one bunt defense, you're essentially going to give up an easy/easier steal to the opponents at either 2nd or 3rd. If your middle IF cover the corners, any bunt/steal is a free base to 2nd every time. If SS covers 2nd and P/3B covers 3rd depending on who doesn't field the bunt, then you won't necessarily be giving up a free steal to 3rd, but it won't be as easy as keeping 3B back in that situation.

IMO, just depends which base you feel is better to protect. If it was me, I wouldn't give up 2nd, and would gamble that my P/3B could handle covering 3rd and hope my SS could at least deter them from stealing 3rd every time they got to 2nd.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee