Showing Bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2019
1) Girl is up to bat showing bunt with the bat horizontal to the plate.
2) As the pitch is coming she doesn't pull back her bat but stays in the bunt position
3) she instead angles the bat up more vertical to about the 2 o'clock position

Just curious what the rule is.

If the bat is over any part of the plate it's a strike?

May 1, 2018
I'll let an umpire make the rule specific, but they have to make an attempt on the ball.

Oct 24, 2010
What code? This is a strike in codes that require the batter to withdraw the bat. In USA Softball, if the umpire judges the batter did not make an attempt at the pitch, it is a ball or strike based on pitch location.

Oct 29, 2019
What code? This is a strike in codes that require the batter to withdraw the bat. In USA Softball, if the umpire judges the batter did not make an attempt at the pitch, it is a ball or strike based on pitch location.
Not sure what you mean by code but it was a USSSA tournement.

Batter didn't make an attempt to bunt, but she didn't make much of an attempt to pull the bat back either. The batter just angled the bat more vertical.

Good to know. Thanks

May 29, 2015
As has been pointed out, you need to know what rule set you are playing.

USA Softball (Rules Supplement, #10) requires the batter to actively move the bat towards the ball. Just placing it across the plate is not a bunt attempt. Sticking it out and leaving it there is not an attempt.

NFHS (2.8.2) states holding the bat over the plate is a bunt attempt. It is required to withdraw the bat to avoid calling it an attempt. PGF follows the NFHS rulebook.

USSSA (Rule 3, “Bunt, Attempted”) language echoes the NFHS rule which specifically states holding the bat out is an attempt and the bat must be actively withdrawn to avoid that.

NCAA (11.7.2.1) also follows the bat being in the zone being considered an attempt on its own and actively pulling back required to avoid that.

IMO, in theTMIB Book ... ;) ... you put the bat out there for a reason. It wasn’t because an ant on the plate needed shade.

Mar 7, 2016
Funny story about that situation in USA ball... We played a team and it was way over matched in favor of my team. They couldnt hit the girl I had throwing that game so the coach instructs his girls to show and hold bunt dont move. This got in my pitchers head a little and she struggled to find the zone for some reason that game. Having a comfortable lead I let her load the bases on walks hoping she would work through it. Called time and instructed her the next girl that shows and holds a bunt aim for her hands. Very next pitch the poor girls had her top hand wrapped around the bat, pitcher hits her hand ball rolls fair. Batter is hopping up and down holding her hand, catcher grabs ball steps on home and fires to first. Double play inning over.

Just to preface I didnt actually think she would hit her or intend any harm, more of an aim small miss small type of cue. In no way did I see that happening. Girl was OK thankfully.

Mar 7, 2016
Dead ball strike is the correct call, the opposing coach even argued it to no avail. The umps in USA ball here are very green.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee