Showing Bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
I've got a dead ball strike on that. :)
So in USA softball, it's not a strike (depending on where ball is) if she leaves the bat out to bunt, and that ball hits her hands, that's a dead ball strike?.....If she was holding the bat in regular position, and it hits her hands, thats dead ball, first base. I guess it's the offering of the bat that makes it a dead ball strike?

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I am making the assumption that her hands were in the strike zone.

Bad umpire admission on my part here: I don’t like this rule. Any benefit of doubt in my mind is not going to go to the batter.

Oct 24, 2010
So in USA softball, it's not a strike (depending on where ball is) if she leaves the bat out to bunt, and that ball hits her hands, that's a dead ball strike?.....If she was holding the bat in regular position, and it hits her hands, thats dead ball, first base. I guess it's the offering of the bat that makes it a dead ball strike?

As TMIB points out, dead ball (because the pitch hit the batter), strike (if the ball was in the zone), or ball (the ball was not in the zone). In either case, the batter gets to stay in the box unless an effort was made to avoid the pitch, or it was strike three or ball four.

Mar 7, 2016
Her hands were well over the plate (well her top hand was anyways). They were toeing the line and leaning out over it to draw walks because they struggling with her speed and movement. When a girl wraps her fingers around the bat with her top hand I find it hard to believe an ump can clearly see if it was a bunt attempt or hit her hand since the bat is blocking their view here. Aside from the girl jumping up and down shaking her hand here lol...

May 29, 2015
Her hands were well over the plate (well her top hand was anyways). They were toeing the line and leaning out over it to draw walks because they struggling with her speed and movement. When a girl wraps her fingers around the bat with her top hand I find it hard to believe an ump can clearly see if it was a bunt attempt or hit her hand since the bat is blocking their view here. Aside from the girl jumping up and down shaking her hand here lol...

True, we can’t see everything. You pointed out clue #2 (player’s reaction). The primary clue is the sound it makes.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
True, we can’t see everything. You pointed out clue #2 (player’s reaction). The primary clue is the sound it makes.

Had a player swing late on an inside pitch and knocked the ball past the outstretched 2nd baseman...

Base hit? No - it went off her knuckles.

Sounded like the ball was hit with a cabbage..

She ran to 1st and turned and looked into the dugout - tears in her eyes due to the tremendous pain she was in...

HC - "Sorry kid, that was a strike - you gotta go back..."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802