Showcase spectator etiquette

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How not to do it...
1634856891459.png

See the red and white box on the fence? Yes, it's hard to see, and that's a problem. That box has the team flyers. College coaches literally had to go through the pop-ups, and dodge around parents to get to the flyers. This team also had no one out there to interact with coaches.

Before the game started, I kindly and genuinely suggested to a couple of their parents that they should reconsider their setup. I was scowled at and ignored.

At our games, we have one parent on point during the game making sure every college coach gets a team flyer in their hand, and a conversation is started about what the coach is looking for and what players might fit those needs.

Jun 11, 2012
Most of the showcase DD played in roped off the area behind the backstop & hung a sign that it was for college coaches only.

Absolutely do not carry your DD’s bag, cleats, bat or anything

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
How not to do it...
View attachment 24178

See the red and white box on the fence? Yes, it's hard to see, and that's a problem. That box has the team flyers. College coaches literally had to go through the pop-ups, and dodge around parents to get to the flyers. This team also had no one out there to interact with coaches.

Before the game started, I kindly and genuinely suggested to a couple of their parents that they should reconsider their setup. I was scowled at and ignored.

At our games, we have one parent on point during the game making sure every college coach gets a team flyer in their hand, and a conversation is started about what the coach is looking for and what players might fit those needs.

At a showcase!? Do they even realize the reason for being there?
Sheesh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
How not to do it...
View attachment 24178

See those people in the OF. They are doing it right!

Apr 20, 2015
On our team myself running the camera equipment and the parent who does gc will be there but no one else. We try to stay off to the side and don't set up tents or anything. Since we are there we will hand out the flyer and answer any minor questions the coach has like where someone is from or something but try not to do much else other just than be kind because we are just parents.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2016
Virginia
Great thread and thanks for the advice. DD is making her first trip to Scenic City this weekend in the Super Pool 14's. Just starting on the recruiting journey.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD's team played in a showcase event this past weekend. They didn't play well as a team, and lost to some teams that they would usually beat pretty easily (the recent lack of team fielding practices showed). However, at most of our games, we had multiple college coaches spending time watching our players, and having extended conversations with our HC about players that might fit their needs. During the final game of the weekend, the opposing team players and parents were repeatedly squawking "that's how you showcase!" after a good play or big hit during their 4-1 win against us. Meanwhile, 3 college coaches sitting in the bleachers behind home plate spent most of the game with our team's flyer in their hand, talking to our people about our players. The other team didn't have flyers available, and zero people made an effort to connect with the college coaches. That's definitely NOT how you showcase.

Despite our disappointing W-L record, we expanded the number of players on our team that have specific interest from schools that are possibly good fits for them, and added depth to players who already have interest from other schools.

Before the event, our HC emailed the team flyer to all of the coaches on the "coaches attending" list, and invited them to come watch us play. A couple of coaches commented that we were the only team who had done that, and already had a flyer in their hand when they came to our field.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog