Shoulder Popping?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 31, 2008
Last night me and my dad were practicing pitching outside and when i was first warming up, just throwing overhand, i could here my shoulder popping when i was throwing, about when my arm was a little more towards my dad past my head...Then when i was pitching, it popped at around, nine oclock position, looking at the pitcher in her open position, the nine oclock position...This popping does not make my shoulder hurt, but it is consistantly popping now..Any ideas??
-Thanks

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Last night me and my dad were practicing pitching outside and when i was first warming up, just throwing overhand, i could here my shoulder popping when i was throwing, about when my arm was a little more towards my dad past my head...Then when i was pitching, it popped at around, nine oclock position, looking at the pitcher in her open position, the nine oclock position...This popping does not make my shoulder hurt, but it is consistantly popping now..Any ideas??
-Thanks

My guess would be an inflamed bicep ligamate. If you rub around immediately in front of your shoulder socket, is it sore?? Does it feel a little swollen?

How is your bicep (Popeye) muscle?? Is IT sore? Ecspecially near the top??

The bicep ligamate goes through a passage that attaches it to the bone. The passage fits it perfectly but, when it gets inflamed and swells up, it can get a little wider in diameter than the passage it goes through and, a popping can be heard and felt.

Just by moving your arm slowly, try and determine EXACTLY where this is occurring.

I would have a good DR or PT check it out. The PT can put you through specific motions to determine exactly what is inflamed or stretched.

Hal

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree with Hal--most likely, you have strained or sprained your bicep tendon. My DD pitched in college, and she had the same problems. Her bicep tendon now occasionally "pops out of place" and she has to move it back to its correct location.

The bicep tendon is where all the force of an underhand pitch is focused. So, that is "ground zero" for an injury. You need to take care of it. You should stop pitching for a few weeks and go to a doctor.

The article says:

Moreover, the maximum force, or maximum contraction, occurred not when the arm was cocked, as in baseball’s overhand pitching, but when the arm circled around from the 9 o’clock position, almost fully extended back, to the 6 o’clock position, perpendicular with the ground, completing its windmill motion to release the ball. Consequently, the biceps took the majority of the stress, not the elbow.

Verma launched his study in Rush’s human motion laboratory when he found that female softball players from the local professional team were coming into his practice complaining of pain in the front of their shoulders. He was able to localize the pain to the biceps tendon. In one case, a pitcher had ruptured her tendon during play, which implicated the long head of the biceps tendon as the source of stress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood