Shoulder pain while pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 16, 2019
That there is lateral deltoid. They got it correct. I do t see anything in her motion other than the little shoulder up thing she does at the end.
When the arm gets to 3 palm down puts stress on that muscle. She is not exactly palm down as she rotated the the hand in a little at three.
This very well may not be tendinitis but more a small tendon tear. Which will take longer to heal. But it should.
You really have to use your ice, heat and rest appropriately with action. Pitching.
Pitch easy try to stay away from areas that recreate pain. So 12, 9 positions should be pretty painless. Go from 3 back slowly a little each workout to influence the muscle. But if you go too hard you re-tear. Slow steady consistent with small increases in volume and intensity.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That does indeed help. We ice the area 3 times per day, stretching, exercises from ortho and core workout each day. Also do strength training bands every other day making sure not to do any exercise that causes pain. We do not use heat though. Should we? Also, would an MRI show a tendon tear? I would like to get a definitive answer on Monday when we follow up.

Nov 8, 2018
That does indeed help. We ice the area 3 times per day, stretching, exercises from ortho and core workout each day. Also do strength training bands every other day making sure not to do any exercise that causes pain. We do not use heat though. Should we? Also, would an MRI show a tendon tear? I would like to get a definitive answer on Monday when we follow up.

On days she is off and without pain I would suggest contrast. Ice and heat. On and off. Like 20/20 minutes. To help push and pull blood to the area. On training and workout days hit with ice. Especially if there is pain.

Yes mri would show any micro tears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 16, 2019
Same thing happened with my DD, they did x-rays and diagnosed it as tendonitis at first, went back after a month and they sent her for an MRI because of no improvement. They didnt find anything but diagnosed her with LL shoulder which is a growth plate injury. Because of that she's been resting it for 3 months, and it still bothers her some when just throwing overhand. I'm not letting her try pitching until she is a 100% now.
Good luck to your DD. I guess the silver lining is that she is able to rest without missing game time.

Sep 16, 2019
Update: We had an xray done today. Doc diagnosed her with a growth plate fracture as I suspected initially. Ordered zero use of her arm for a month and then take another xray to see where we are at. Looks like a long road ahead, but at least we have something definitive and can move forward now.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Update: We had an xray done today. Doc diagnosed her with a growth plate fracture as I suspected initially. Ordered zero use of her arm for a month and then take another xray to see where we are at. Looks like a long road ahead, but at least we have something definitive and can move forward now.
Good luck all.

Oct 26, 2019
Not to alarm you by any means but one of the girls on our 10U team had pain near that same spot and I thought it was also biceps tendinitis. She went to an ortho after some time and it ended up being stress fractures in the growth plate. It is way more common at that age than you would think...I would take her and get it checked out just in case.

I hate that I was right about this one, but good news. The girl I mentioned above just finished PT and is throwing well again pain free. It was a positive in the end - she revamped her motion with a clean slate and is much more confident now. The same will happen to your DD. She’s got this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee