Shoulder angle at contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Three different pitch locations...

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="NXE3bZs"><a href="//imgur.com/NXE3bZs"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Feb 13, 2018
Meant to get back to this but..got busy.

TY Pattar...I see what your saying ...just wasn't sure with the usage of "back".

To OP (ambern11)...do you understand the role the torso plays in keeping the front shoulder down/rear up till launch?

Hey sorry Bobbyb, just now seeing your question. I am still learning all the specific ins and outs of the swing for sure. This particular question came about because I have a lot of girls that sort of "spin" around their body instead of engage anything during their swing. So I have been working on getting them into proper position at contact and one girl said "don't drop your shoulder!"....it just made me question exactly what part of our swing would result in pop ups since that angle at contact does have the shoulder "down". Just assuming this girl in the past has had this issue and was told not to drop her shoulder...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hey sorry Bobbyb, just now seeing your question. I am still learning all the specific ins and outs of the swing for sure. This particular question came about because I have a lot of girls that sort of "spin" around their body instead of engage anything during their swing. So I have been working on getting them into proper position at contact and one girl said "don't drop your shoulder!"....it just made me question exactly what part of our swing would result in pop ups since that angle at contact does have the shoulder "down". Just assuming this girl in the past has had this issue and was told not to drop her shoulder...

More likely, a coach who really didn't know anything told her "don't drop your shoulder", and she's just parroting the bad advice.

May 21, 2014
It's not whether the hitter is dropping their back shoulder to much. It's more so when the back shoulder is dropping.

I usually find that this is the result of the back elbow leading the swing. Back elbow collapses and moves past the past hip early in the swing and the visual that people pick up on is the rear shoulder lowering. The problem is the elbow, not the shoulder.

And the problem with telling them to "keep your shoulders level" is that they then create a very flat bat path with hands that are often low. No power and lots of roll over to make up for the level shoulders.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest

No problem! I got busy again...I don't post alot because I may not get back for a while! :)

Like Eric F said...Many coaches say 'don't drop your rear shoulder" when the kids collapse the rear side. And as Rdbass said its more of a matter of when it drops. You will hear "scap" and the back side mentioned all the time when discussing this...and was going to say...don't forget about the front side shoulder/torso (specifically front side ext. obliques)..and having activate them and holding that till GO. Consider teaching them to movement patterns of disassociating pelvis-torso (thoracic/rib rotation). It helps a lot of issues and speeds up the learning curve imo. Here is a poor quick example of Trout activating his front ext obl...then releasing and activating the rear ext obl. This is not meant to be exact but just a visual.

trout-1-torso-obl_zpspnh8q8rh.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802