Should you have catcher's set up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
12U. What I mean by this is, should you have your catcher set up outside/inside for the appropriate pitch? Or should they just stay centered and move the glove to the ball?

My DD takes her catcher to lessons, and her pitching coach has her set up with her belly button on the edge of the plate for an inside or outside pitch. Her coaches want the catcher to stay put and move her glove. I told pitching coach about this, and he disagrees. Even had me stand like a batter, and DD started her motion, and I tried to sneak a peek at the catcher. Yes, I could barley see where the catcher was set, but by then it was too late, and wouldn't have been able to hit the ball.

This could get confusing for DD. How would I remedy with her coaches?

Jul 29, 2008
I agree with your kids pitching coach to some extent.

On horizontal pitches, I like setting up in the middle of the plate, feet wider, and when the pitch is being released, a slight shift of body weight to the appropriate side. It doesn't tip the batter at all and is more likely called a strike from an umpire when the ball comes in within the catchers body frame.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
I agree with the pitching coach as well with one qualifier. I teach my catchers to set up as described when the pitcher has the skill to consistantly hit the correct half of the plate.

I teach that if the pitcher throws a strike it should still look like one when the catcher catches it. But it the catcher stays on the middle of the plate, and the pitcher throws a strike right on the outside corner of the plate the catcher will be catching the pitch with her glove outside her shoulders. If its a fastball this may cause the glove to deflect off the plate and and not give a clean finish to the pitch.

If the catcher is centered on the edge of the plate, inside or outside, the same pitch will be caught at her midline, maintaining the look of a great pitch.

Again, this is all based on when the pitcher has the skill and consistancy to hit the correct half of the plate.

May 5, 2008
But if the catcher stays on the middle of the plate, and the pitcher throws a strike right on the outside corner of the plate the catcher will be catching the pitch with her glove outside her shoulders. If its a fastball this may cause the glove to deflect off the plate and and not give a clean finish to the pitch.

If the catcher is centered on the edge of the plate, inside or outside, the same pitch will be caught at her midline, maintaining the look of a great pitch.

Again, this is all based on when the pitcher has the skill and consistancy to hit the correct half of the plate.

Excellent point!!!!!

Now when you show the glove and leave it up is something that may be worked on or worked out with the pitcher.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
This is a sore issue for me. Not the issue exactly, but regarding this issue. A HS coach in our conference always shouts out to his batter as soon as our catcher moves in or out. No matter how late she moves he shouts it out. I "had words" with him after one of our games with him. He said that he does whatever it takes to win. I mentioned something about sportsmanship and the message he was sending his team. Next time we played him not only did he do it but so did designated players in the dugout. Real winner. Did I mention that when I went to complain to the school's athletic director I was dismayed to see that he was also the AD?! Oh well...

Ed

May 7, 2008
EJL,

How about a few "decoy" pitches where the pitcher actually chooses another target - e.g., let the catcher set up on the outside, but (by prior agreement), pitcher throws to catcher's inside shoulder or knee, or umpire's mask (assuming he/she is set up in the slot appropriately), or whatever. NOT saying throw at the batter - just make the catcher's set up rather irrelevant to pitch location from time to time to keep the hitters (or, more accurately, the coaches) honest.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
Flash, I like what you're thinking. A few of those "decoys" may quiet the coach.

Jofus, I REALLY like what you're thinking! But.........

Ed

May 12, 2008
Yeah you can have a lot of fun with it when a coach or parent is obvious about their tipping. I view it as a gift. :)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That stuff is so juvenile. In college, the pitchers don't even look at the glove to pitch.

There was a girl play 3B against me, and she picked up the sign for a bunt. I warned her that it wasn't a good idea to try to steal signs from the coach. (No doubt her Dad had taught her what to look for.) I told her coach that it wasn't a good idea, but he just laughed. So I switched the indicator. I gave the bunt sign, did a wipe off, and then gave the mandatory swing sign. She was perhaps 15 feet from the batter when the batter swung. She stopped.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802