Should we stay, or should we go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
12U DD is a pitcher on a great travel team. The coaches are awesome, very knowleagable and teach very well. All of the girls are excellent players with great attitudes and genuinely love softball. The parents are nice and very supportive.

Here is the dilemma. We lost 2 catchers (we had 3). 1 wanted to be a pitcher, and was not a TB pitcher, so she quit and went to league so she could pitch. The other catcher quit to play league with her friends. Mind you, all 3 catcher's were fairly equal, and got equal playing time.

That brought us down to 8 players. I had another catcher lined up, explained the dedication, schedule, and costs required to parents before she tried out, and made the team. Then 2 weeks after (ordered her uniform, scheduled tournaments) she quit. It was many excuses - money, religious reasons, arm hurts, etc. Now we are down to 8, and this late in the season, we are having trouble finding players.

My DD (as well as the other girls) have been working their butts off, and in all aspects, they are ready to play and be very competitive. But, we can't, due to lack of players.

I need to get my DD playing (all this work for nothing!). Should we stay, or should we go?

Sorry for the long post.

P.S. - I am not a coach, just a parent of DD on this team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Go talk to the coaches and find out the plan for finding more players. You didn't say anything about your schedule, but if you are playing the "standard" eight tournament schedule, you need at least 12 players. Kids get sick, kids get injured, there are family emergencies, etc. You need 4 more players, not one more. Anything less than twelve will be a disaster. If the coaches have no plan or and no time line for getting the players, then you should take your DD elsewhere.

Next year, you need to find a team with about 14 players. Also, recognize that your DD is going to have to fight for playing time.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I agree 100% with Sluggers. Talk to the coaches to get the plan and if you aren't happy with their plan, move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802