Should she give up school ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The team needs to understand that Pitchers live in a different world than the other position players. Pitchers need to continually have lessons and requires a high level dedication to their craft. Without their pitcher, the team won't be winning any games. I'd tell that other kid to pound sand. I would also ask if the MS coach can give her pitching lessons during practice. Yeah! I didn't think so. Sounds like a meeting is required to form some sort of compromise.

Jul 14, 2018
Now that softball just started, and their first tournament is coming up, we will resume pitching lessons 1x a week and batting lessons 2x a month. We just moved to this area and found it hard to schedule lessons, as there aren't that many good PC and BC in this area. Her PC is an hour away, but we make it work.

It is between lessons or playing school ball and forgoing lessons til June.

Sounds like you’re in a bit of a pickle, having moved to a new area and needing to establish with a new pitching and hitting coach.

That said, I’ve always seen spring as the time of year to stop lessons. DD pitched and hit with private instructors all winter, but now she’s got middle school practice every day and tournaments every other weekend, so getting those two hours a week in for lessons is not so important, in fact, she needs rest more than lessons.

Anyone else continue lessons during the season? We just told DD’s instructors, “Thanks for everything, see you in June.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
From a softball development standpoint you should just not play middle school ball.

From a life and fun perspective it's up to DD if she wants to or not. If she has a bunch of friends on the team and enjoys playing losing a couple of months of lessons won't kill her.

I know the coach said it was OK to miss, but I think he made a big mistake. In School you either show up and practice or you can't play. The only exception would be if there was School lab or something that required being late.

Apr 11, 2016
We don’t have middle school ball. If we did Dd
would play. I look at it as free reps. I suppose it
depends on the level of ball you want. What’s Dd say?
DD wants lessons. They are playing tons of scrimmages, round robins (against very good teams), and tournaments with her travel team. DD wants to pitch her best and also cares for her batting average.

She just says she doesn't care if she is not on the school team. Most of the girls on the team are there just to be in a clique. She hasn't seen such bad softball since t-ball.

Jul 14, 2018
Narrator -- Everybody raised their hands

What do you mean see you in June? Does she not play during the summer?

She does play during the summer, but school ball is every day. DD is one of two pitchers and they have three games a week starting next week until Memorial Day.

Once it’s TB only, she can get another day in. During the season, too much IMHO.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
"Her school ball team consists of 4 girls who play travel (including DD), 2 rec ball, and 7 who's never played softball before, so you can imagine the practices are very fundamental.

Her school ball coach originally mentioned that DD can miss school ball practices to go to lessons, since she gets enough practices from her travel team anyway."

It's these two things that would make me not even hesitate to pull her (granted that is what she wants). So maybe 4 out of 13 who have any real competitive softball experience (and likely that is where the talent lies) and the coach is ready to implement a rule that could possibly remove one or more of those players??? And at the complaint of another player (presumably one of the ones who have never played).

It's not like she is missing to go to birthday parties or hang out with friends.

Coach seems more worried about walking on eggshells than fielding a competitive team. No thanks.

May 16, 2016
But another MS girl "protests" that players (a.k.a DD) are missing school ball practices, so the coach just implemented no 3 missed practices or you are out.

I would talk with the MS coach and explain, she is not going to skip pitching lessons for MS practice, (and the coach shouldn't want her to) so if she's really out after 3 misses, you will go ahead and drop out now. Hopefully, she will see the light, and give you an accommodation. If not, well then you tried.

Keep in mind, some of these kids in Middle School, will be her teammates in High School. Better to be forging friendships now. IMHO

Mar 28, 2014
She does play during the summer, but school ball is every day. DD is one of two pitchers and they have three games a week starting next week until Memorial Day.

Once it’s TB only, she can get another day in. During the season, too much IMHO.

does she throw bullpens every day at school? That's crazy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812