should I be offended?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
got informed by our softball administrator today (This is LL softball) that as it looks as though I will only be managing a team if they get enough additional girls to form a third team in minors softball. I am only one of two returning managers for this division (I managed two years in coach pitch softball, one in minors softball, the other returner managed one year in minors in our league, was also a coach pitch manager for at least one year in neighboring league).

Apparently the new manager for minors softball this year is our treasurer (his girl is moving up from coach pitch baseball, we had to disband coach pitch softball because of low numbers and complaints about distance of inter-league games for girls many of whom's bedtime was 830 or 9 (I know for interleague games, I normally did not get home until 830 or 9 most nights). He also coaches his daughter's travel soccer team. No offense, but I know from personal experience that there is a learning curve for coaching softball, it is a different game then baseball, not just a larger ball. Different rules, etc. would having be AC coach for a year make sense?

We just got out of a situation where a softball manager and his travel soccer team all basically insisted they be on same softball team (for four years running) to accommodate the soccer schedule (he is out for other reasons, used unacceptable language towards a child). Last year ended up with horribly unbalanced league (they lost one game, our run differential against them in 3 games was -27, for rest of league (like 9 or 10 games) was -3). Seems we are going right back to there (or he just wants to control his daughter's team schedule so as not to conflict with soccer).

Second note, apparently our BOD has not yet voted on managers yet! Typical of our softball administrator, he basically assumes the board will rubber stamp whatever he wants (I also believe there are decisions he makes unilaterally without seeking BOD approval because he figures no one will call him on it).

Now I know that there are no "returning" managers. But I have been working on things assuming I was managing for past few months, was also going to put out about $200 (assuming I could convince DW) of my money for things I felt the team needed for practices. Research and reading a lot (like on here(). Putting together practice plans (I already have rough drafts of the first four). Thinking of signals (want to introduce that this year). tweaking welcome letter and team rules. I probably keep better stats than any other minor coach in our district (hence I know our run differential last year vs individual teams in our group, and vs whole, OBP of my girls, innings pitched, BBs and Ks for each of my Ps, % of time each girl put ball in play (some of my stats are a little unconventional, but at this level depending on Vol scorekeepers, so wanted a stat that eliminated the hit vs E vs sac question).

These organizations wonder why they have trouble getting volunteers, here is prime example. Volunteers are desperately needed, that is until they are in the way of a high muckety-muck, then it is don't let the door hit you on the way out. When I first came to this league 4 years ago (our league basically went defunct due to lack of numbers, we basically did combined play with this league, but it was really just our kids being absorbed, good thing overall), was told my daughter, who had two years of tball, but was softball league age 5, could not play coach pitch softball unless I coached.

Am I wrong to feel like the softball admin is trying to say thanks, don't let the door hit you in rear on way out? took me a while but I have come to enjoy coaching the girls (I think 2 years of tball kind of put me off, but it gets better as they get older).

Now all this being said, if it ends up I don't manage, I will still probably be AC, as this is about girls (and big problem on softball side of our league is lack of asst coaches).

BOD meeting tonight (where they will be voting on managers), will be there, will be interesting. will advise.

Sep 29, 2014
You said his DD moved from coach pitch baseball, if so was he coaching baseball, maybe he put dues in coaching there? Anyway it is always your choice whether or not to be offended, my philosophy life is too short.

I was the new guy once and the opposite happened they got too many girls sign up and need an extra manager so I volunteered, the old guard screwed me over so bad it was not even funny (after the draft I told the player agent in front of the other managers exactly what I thought was happening to me, my language had me apologizing to this poor lady for the next year, I was really embarrassed but I was completely run over). Fast forward to the next year these guys are all my buddies, we maintain the fields, run the league (I got on the board) and drink beers, it was just not worth holding a grudge.

For your situation, I would if the league allows get with the manager you think is the best fit and ask to be his AC before the draft, assuming there are not enough for another team. If not on day one after the draft volunteer to help, just remember you are the AC not the HC. I would not fight the board about being a manager but I think it would be OK to volunteer up front and tell board you want to be a manager, then if they say you are our #3 pick and we only have two team so be it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Welcome to league ball. It's not about what's right. It's not about you. It's about what's best for your kid. Instead of fighting the politics, figure out how to maximize the experience for your kid or find another place to play. Sometimes/often time spent on making a dozen kids better means you spend less time making your kid better. Be dad first. Being coach comes way second. Good for you if you can do both.

May 12, 2008
Agree with DJ.

I agree with something I once read. League teams should be picked to be even. Then draw numbers out of a hat to see which coach gets which team. Negotiate a reasonable player swap to get the coach's kid on his team if that doesn't happen in the draw. This way, everyone will be motivated to make sure there are no weak teams.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
The league bylaws are how the managers selected? Should be spelled out there. For example ours state

1) Coach of last years team
2) A manager that is moving up from the division directly below
etc...

I would prefer an experienced manager and from what I can tell you have the most experience. Thus you should be top on the list. I would push the issue if the bylaws are in your favor.

May 6, 2015
will see how things go tonight. funny, two years ago, I would have said thank god. Now I find I really enjoy it, enough to fight for it (verbally, not physically if that needs saying)

one thing is baseball and softball are different beyond just size of ball, having experience in SB (as opposed to just BB) can make a difference (has he even heard of continuation? I learned this the hard way in coach pitch, had no previous SB exp when I started)l.

also, that I was simply told this by softball admin, with no explanation, nada, before BOD even voted. that is more what offends me really. no discussion, just this BOD member wants it, so it is his.

also, if a returning manager is not good enough to be given first consideration for job, don't come to me if you can recruit another 13+ girls (so far 17 girls registered in minors). I will be AC, but find another manager.

That being said, if it goes against me (and I am assuming it will), I do not think I can be AC for this manager, just probably not a good idea. Will have to be AC for other manager.

By the way, this is same softball admin who last week asks me if I will consider being on the BOD?

May 6, 2015
this is LL, so managers are nominated by league pres, then approved by BOD. there are technically no returning managers until after BOD approves. that being said, president asked me about a month or so ago if I was managing again, I of course replied yes. BOd has not yet voted, but the SB admin tells me I am only manager if they get enough girls for third team.

will see. just growing to dislike this softball admin more than anything, he thinks the SB side of things is his own little fiefdom, and can do as he pleases. He does put in a lot of work, I will say that, but the way he does certain things pisses a lot of people off, not just me. BOD who is friend of mine cannot stand him.

Sep 29, 2014
Again this is just the price we all pay for being involved. Like you said softball admin does a LOT, but rubs some people the wrong way...the problem is nobody wants to do ALL those things the softball admin does.

Any league situation like this ALWAYS involves drama...you goal is to try and steer clear of as much of it as possible and remember job one is to make sure the girls have a good experience! This sometimes means swallowing your pride, putting on a smile and going forward

Nov 25, 2012
USA
good advice above and don't make a big deal of it. It isn't worth it. I will also say that you should consider volunteering on your board if you like it that much. Every board is different but the board is typically the ones spending a ton of time on a weekly basis keeping up the fields, picking up trash, and doing the things that others don't want to do for the benefit of the kids, fans, etc. Based on that and it can be argued for sure but that also comes with benefits. Such as........priority in coaching. Does it always make sense? No. Is the BOD a better coach than someone else? Maybe or maybe not. BUT they are the ones that volunteer their time doing the stuff that isn't so elegant so they typically will get the nod over someone who doesn't. I have seen the same situation over and over for years in LL and I always tell the coach that is left out that we need more board members to volunteer their time. They usually end up signing up (getting voted in), have a great time, and coach or assistant coach the remainder of their days while there kids are there.

Don't fight the board because it will do more harm than good.
Get on the board and you will have a lot more pull and not just with coaching.

Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802