Should goal be college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2019
Thank you all for the awareness that I need. I definitely will keep up the hard work with them as long as “they” want to but I will remember the input from you all and try not to go too far. See you on other posts.

Oct 4, 2018
Yes I would say that's possible but its a fine line. As much as we love our kids it is probably best to NOT go to every game/practice. Let them play on their own without being watched, its good for them. The girls who I managed/coached who always had daddy (or mom) lurking and watching all quit by teen years.

I wanted to touch on this too.

I don't know you, and I'm on the internet. So I can be quite frank.

You are potentially on a path to be that parent that no coach wants on his/her team. Please be very, very careful with that. When they're on the field with their coach, you are not in charge. You are not their coach. Be supportive, be positive. Don't coach them from the bleachers, don't walk over to the dugout every 5 minutes to talk to them.

And, as said above, sometimes just drop them at practice and leave. Force yourself out of there. It's good for everyone related to the team.

Now one way around that is to be a coach. But of course that has its own challenges.

I just hate to see little girls not get to play on the team they want to play on because of their parents. It happens so often it's almost shocking to me.

Jun 19, 2019
I wanted to touch on this too.

I don't know you, and I'm on the internet. So I can be quite frank.

You are potentially on a path to be that parent that no coach wants on his/her team. Please be very, very careful with that. When they're on the field with their coach, you are not in charge. You are not their coach. Be supportive, be positive. Don't coach them from the bleachers, don't walk over to the dugout every 5 minutes to talk to them.

And, as said above, sometimes just drop them at practice and leave. Force yourself out of there. It's good for everyone related to the team.

Now one way around that is to be a coach. But of course that has its own challenges.

I just hate to see little girls not get to play on the team they want to play on because of their parents. It happens so often it's almost shocking to me.
I am their coach.

Oct 4, 2018
Gotcha. Two things: That has a ton of other challenges which I'm sure you're aware of. Do make sure your daughters take their turns on the bench, work on OF, etc.

Also, you won't be their coach forever. And when you're not, you have to dial it down around the team.

May 26, 2019
New Richmond, Wi
I have made the comment that I’m working on trying to get my girls to college and have had comments that I shouldn’t be thinking about that. So with that said, should a parent/coach be thinking of college? I dream big,think big and have seen in my life how I can have a lot of control over what I do. So I believe the same for my kids. They are athletic and smart and seem to have other talents that fall in line with softball skills. They are only 9 and 10 but unless there comes a day that I realize they are not ahead of others, I feel I should think of college. I understand that if a girl simply does not have talent, then yeah maybe not but I believe in dreaming big and I’m sure most that have succeeded would say the same. And yes it has to be their dream and at this point they do love it and want to play as long as they can. I’m not just asking specifically for my girls, but would like to know everyone’s opinion on when is the appropriate time for people to start thinking college.

The college hype is a bit too much at 9/10, these girls haven’t even started to develop...but with that said, you continue to push the idea that attitude and effort is everything as you ALWAYS PUSH to be the BEST YOU CAN BE....what a kid does at 9/10 skill wise has zero to do wit what happens at 16-19, but attitude and effort ie work ethic, commitment to details etc can be formed to help shape them as 16-19 yr olds thus opening the college doors

May 25, 2019
It never hurts to think or dream about college for your kids when they are young. If you are serious about them going to college, softball or not, start saving money now, while they are young, in the event they don’t get a softball scholarship. You’ll be $$$ ahead when it is time for them to go.

Apr 21, 2019
I would most certainly hope that my daughter go to college . She has expressed interest in pursuing athletic training and has expressed interest in playing college softball.
That said, my hope for her to go to college is for an education...if she plays softball too, great!
Balancing the demands of a college sport and a rigorous academic program can be incredibly challenging and every semester I see many students do poorly academically or drop their sport because they can’t manage both.
If my daughter wants to play in college, I will definitely support her. If she can’t/doesn’t want to, that’s fine, too.

Nov 15, 2015
I have made the comment that I’m working on trying to get my girls to college and have had comments that I shouldn’t be thinking about that. So with that said, should a parent/coach be thinking of college? I dream big,think big and have seen in my life how I can have a lot of control over what I do. So I believe the same for my kids. They are athletic and smart and seem to have other talents that fall in line with softball skills. They are only 9 and 10 but unless there comes a day that I realize they are not ahead of others, I feel I should think of college. I understand that if a girl simply does not have talent, then yeah maybe not but I believe in dreaming big and I’m sure most that have succeeded would say the same. And yes it has to be their dream and at this point they do love it and want to play as long as they can. I’m not just asking specifically for my girls, but would like to know everyone’s opinion on when is the appropriate time for people to start thinking college.
I think spend most of your time focusing on being the best softball player she can be. My child wanted to play college all the way until about 12 years old. Then she is 100% sure. So I told her to just be the best high school player she can be. Continue to work hard at a game you love. Then you can make that decision later.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Yes, you are jumping the gun a bit as they have not begun being interested in boys etc. I encourage you to be transparent
before and after every season ask them if they still have the love of the game. Once they play at 16U and higher, it becomes a bit more like a 'job' as the majority of girls playing at these ages are playing with the goal being college ball. Let them have fun now, they are kids, let them be silly little girls as this age will disappear before you know it- Best of luck on your journey. I coached my DD thru HS and watched her plenty in college. The time flew by......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812