Should coaches or catchers call pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010

Here is a team that had their pitcher call her own pitches.

There were several reports on why Conroy did it at the time.

Krause ended up at Stanford not University of Illinois btw.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016

Here is a team that had their pitcher call her own pitches.

There were several reports on why Conroy did it at the time.

Krause ended up at Stanford not University of Illinois btw.

I want to say catchers/pitchers called the game for the US Olympic team.

Mar 10, 2020
It's ridiculous to think that pitch calling is a skill and that you are better than random chance.
Let him explain why he contradicts himself
The reality is that a coach in concert with the pitcher and catcher are executing a predetermined series of pitches to give themselves the best leverage possible against a hitter. It's mostly based on the pitchers primary pitches, any data that you might have available on a particular batter, and what the catcher is seeing (from the pitcher, from the umpire, and from the batter).
It is not a sixth sense
Thinking that "Suzy" has a sixth sense as a catcher

Dec 11, 2010
Dang. I read what I wanted to on that one.

My first instinct is always to go for the comedy. It’s a fault, lol

Jan 10, 2022
I don't know how one could use data to prove effective pitch calling...too many variables involved, not the least of which being was the pitch called executed properly?

However I could make a somewhat logical argument for good vs. bad pitch calling. For example can we agree any of the following is a bad pitch call:
1. Batter is late on 50 MPH fast ball grooved down the middle.
Change up middle is a bad pitch call?
2. 0-2 count on batter who swung under and foul tipped 2 straight 2nd level rise balls.
1st level rise a bad pitch call?
3. Batter hits a 0-2 change up to warning track for an out.
Next time up 0-2 / 1-2 change up a bad pitch call? (I admit there's other variables here, but you get the idea)
4. Tie ball game bottom of the 7th runner on third and back-up catcher in the game.
Drop ball in the dirt a bad pitch call?

Okay that's enough - even if you don't like those examples, you can come up with one on your own, right? To agree that there can be a bad pitch call is to admit that there is a good pitch call and therefore good pitch callers, no?

Why would anyone pitch a hittable pitch on 0-2. That’s junk time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I sat here and watched that whole game. It’s good game.

In the top half of the 4th, less than 2 outs with a runner on 3, the Bandits batter/runner walks. As a matter of routine, she goes to 2nd…. The Bombers p thinks of stopping her but the runner at 3 prevents the throw…

The first and third stuff gets talked about every so often here, that’s a pretty good example…

May 17, 2012
I sat here and watched that whole game. It’s good game.

In the top half of the 4th, less than 2 outs with a runner on 3, the Bandits batter/runner walks. As a matter of routine, she goes to 2nd…. The Bombers p thinks of stopping her but the runner at 3 prevents the throw…

The first and third stuff gets talked about every so often here, that’s a pretty good example…

That Bombers catcher had a tough inning in the 4th. Easy for me to say sitting on my couch...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee