SHOULD BATTERS TRAIN TO HIT PITCHES OUT OF THE ZONE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Should batters train to
hit pitches out of the zone?
YES
Train on strikes also.

* There are pitches that are out of the strikezone called strikes.
* There will be pitches batters make a commitment to that will move out of the strikezone.
* Not all hits were strikes.
* Training on pitches out of the zone teaches how to make big adjustments. Which can make small adjustments seem like nothing!
* Protecting the plate could be two softballs out of the strikezone.

Absolutely. My DD is a very good low ball hitter, especially inside pitches. If she took the pitch it would most certainly be called a ball.

Sep 29, 2014
At some point you have to adjust, if a pitcher can locate the ball and the umpire will give the pitch one to two ball off the plate at the knees and your team only swings at pitches in the "zone" guess what, all your players will also be 0fer and you won't score a run.

I think though after a inning or so when we know what the pitcher can pitch and the umpire will call I would not swing at pitches outside the "umpires strike zone" or "outside your zone". Your zone you have to remember is not just dependent on you but the pitcher as well maybe if she is throwing 60 you can turn on that inside pitch or hit that high ball but maybe if she is throws 70 you can't.

So yes train to hit pitches outside the zone so you know what your limitations are as a hitter and you can make the right adjustment in game.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Good hitters hit everything in the zone. Great hitters hit everything in the zone and beyond. DD gave up 3 grand slams during her career in the SEC. All on riseballs well out of the zone. Sierra Romeo - Michigan, the first batter she faced in a Gamecock uniform. Kasey Cooper - Auburn, and Abbey Cheek - Kentucky. All pitches well out of the zone. Romero got lucky when she threw her hands at a pitch so up and away I do not know how she could reach it must less take it to the cheap seats in RC. Great hitters seem to often get lucky. It is what they do.

Dec 11, 2010
ive had people on this page argue with me when I say a walk isn’t as good as a hit. And this is one of my main points. But some people think getting on base in any way is equal.
Hitters gotta hit.

True big zone hitting Is an advanced skill but it should be worked on. It is especially important to thrive as a big fish in a small pond.

HS and above should work on hitting balls 1-2 balls off the plate.

10-12u should be working on hitting balls a 1/2 to a full ball off the plate AND working on hitting outside pitches hard oppo on tee and easy front toss work. Those are two really important things to master if you want to be a great hitter. I say the above because they are physically smaller and probably should be focusing on strike zone recognition before moving on to big zone hitting.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Good hitters hit everything in the zone. Great hitters hit everything in the zone and beyond. DD gave up 3 grand slams during her career in the SEC. All on riseballs well out of the zone. Sierra Romeo - Michigan, the first batter she faced in a Gamecock uniform. Kasey Cooper - Auburn, and Abbey Cheek - Kentucky. All pitches well out of the zone. Romero got lucky when she threw her hands at a pitch so up and away I do not know how she could reach it must less take it to the cheap seats in RC. Great hitters seem to often get lucky. It is what they do.
Riseball- I was typing while you were.

I would be PROUD to say hitters like that hit slams off me. My gosh those three are Dangerous with a capital “D”. I loved watching Cheek hit. (She is a really nice person too.)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The more they practice the luckier they get!

May 12, 2016
When I work with players in the cages, we will often work on pitch location recognition. I give them a situation before the pitch. None on, no out, less than two strikes... Runner on third, 1 out, two strikes... Etc... In general hitters are going to look for pitches that they can square up, but in some cases that zone needs to be widened, especially with two strikes. Between pitches I will offer feedback explaining what I am looking for. Then as they gain more experience, I simply ask questions, and allow them to provide the feedback.
I agree with this 100%. IMO it's much more important to about situational hitting. With my DD I focused on hitting pitches that she had the best chance to hit hard. Be selective and but still aggressive with the count in your favor. Take note of the umpires strike zone, is the pitcher using it to her advantage. If so, target that area.. shift your feet a little in the box, nothing noticeable to get in better position to drive the pitch. 2 strikes against, be a tough out. Make the pitcher earn it, never go down looking. Always make it tough on the pitcher no matter what. If the pitcher just threw 8 straight balls and walking the previous two batters, make her earn the next strike, have a really really close look. I think all these discussions are much more important than working on hitting pitches not in the zone.. however practicing a 2 strike approach is also important.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
FP26 said:
When I work with players in the cages, we will often work on pitch location recognition. I give them a situation before the pitch. None on, no out, less than two strikes... Runner on third, 1 out, two strikes... Etc... In general hitters are going to look for pitches that they can square up, but in some cases that zone needs to be widened, especially with two strikes. Between pitches I will offer feedback explaining what I am looking for. Then as they gain more experience, I simply ask questions, and allow them to provide the feedback.

I agree with this 100%. IMO it's much more important to about situational hitting. With my DD I focused on hitting pitches that she had the best chance to hit hard. Be selective and but still aggressive with the count in your favor. Take note of the umpires strike zone, is the pitcher using it to her advantage. If so, target that area.. shift your feet a little in the box, nothing noticeable to get in better position to drive the pitch. 2 strikes against, be a tough out. Make the pitcher earn it, never go down looking. Always make it tough on the pitcher no matter what. If the pitcher just threw 8 straight balls and walking the previous two batters, make her earn the next strike, have a really really close look. I think all these discussions are much more important than working on hitting pitches not in the zone.. however practicing a 2 strike approach is also important.
Excellent. Sounds like it would be a good station at team practice.

- Building Approach into Your BP Routine

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Also strongly suggest
Throwing pitches outside of the strikezone and simply saying
"Do something with it!"

When ever I had the opportunity to do batting practice against live pitching (which is the best.) I took advantage of trying to do something with every pitch!

If our pitchers or the person pitching was taking the time and effort to throw pitches to me I was going to put in the effort to do something with them. It became part of my coaching strategy. In my opinion, nothing worse at batting practice where everybody gets 10 or 15 swings at live pitching and the batter is being picky. Some might disagree with this because they want to be selective.

In my experience batters learn
*How to make adjustments.
*How to make things happen.
*How to be a better hitter.

Think its good to do off any type hitting practice, even friendlies!!

Yes there are times to learn to be selective,
The goal is to learn to be a better hitter who can produce!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28