Should a coach ever quit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I see what you mean. I agree that I didn't do enough homework and know what to look for in the future.

As far as clearly defining roles, I did do that and now the manager is changing the rules/roles. Who would have thought that I should have gotten it in writing!

We all learn by mistakes that we make. I have learned a very important lesson in this and I hope the manager has also learned by this.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I hope I'm wrong as well. However, there is a difference between having a player keep a commitment and a potential battle between adults during a season. Don't think that it won't hurt the team. Also, don't think that it will go unnoticed. I've seen staffs of other school get torn between the head coach and an assistant. It isn't pretty. The other thing that is at stake here are the other players and their summer ball. What happens to them if it falls apart. You see, it isn't as simple as telling Sue to tough it out. One remark taken the wrong way and...

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I was wrong once. I thought I was wrong.:D

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I hope I'm wrong as well. However, there is a difference between having a player keep a commitment and a potential battle between adults during a season. Don't think that it won't hurt the team. Also, don't think that it will go unnoticed. I've seen staffs of other school get torn between the head coach and an assistant. It isn't pretty. The other thing that is at stake here are the other players and their summer ball. What happens to them if it falls apart. You see, it isn't as simple as telling Sue to tough it out. One remark taken the wrong way and...

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I was wrong once. I thought I was wrong.:D

Part of the problem here is that if I were to leave today I am fairly certain that it would fall apart now. This would not be good for the girls because we are in a very small community with only a couple of options for them for summer ball. I would be crushed if my actions caused even one of these kids to lose the option of summer softball.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Obviously I don't know your situation, but maybe for the sake of the girls it's best to let the manager have his way (as long as there's nothing dangerous or detrimental involved) and accept his changes for the remainder of the season.

Best of luck to you and the players.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
My 2 Cents:

I don't believe in quitting on the girls. They need to LEARN from your ACTIONS.
Experience teaches you to conduct some type of fact-finding on the coach and his/her philosphies and the mechanics of the skills they teach. Many of us have been through what you are going through (at least if you coached long enough), and thats how you learn!
I've helped a variety of teams and found what helps me is meeting with the head coach and the staff BEFORE I agree to help. I want to know what they teach and if we agree on most fundamentals AND how we treat the girls, I'll help. I tell them up-front MY Philosophies and suggest its ok, if they disagree, but that is what I teach and how I coach and if they can show a method that works, I can and will adjust.
** I think its CRITICAL that ALL coaches and parents AGREE not to YELL at ANY PLAYERS, including their daughters, agree to teach the skills the SAME -every coach has to tell the girls the same thing and terminology should be consistant, and NEVER let the players and parents see you disagree. (Pull to the side if something comes up and disguss away from the girls.) This is why a pre-sason meeting between coaches is so important. I have hosted these gatherings at my house, sometimes we go to breakfast to talk softball and philosophies and we also know its OK to disagree, we just have to come to agreement for HOW we teach what we do.
I also ave a similar talk with the parents BEFORE we start up so we all know HOW to handle with adversity, how and WHEN parents can disguss their toughts with a coach.

Kudos to anyone volunteering their time and willing to learn! Thats key - WILLING to learn!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802