Should a coach ever quit?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Is there ever a time that would be acceptable for the head coach of a first year 14U team to quit?

Obviously there is a lot to the story but the bottom line is that the manager is making it very difficult for the coach to do his job, and the girls seem to be losing respect for the coach because of the conflict.

If the coach stays on the staff there will be some conflict with the manager which may or may not be ultimately detrimental to the team, and there is the possibility that the manager will ask the coach to step down. If the coach quits or is asked to step down, there is a very good chance that the team will not stay together due to lack of respect of the manager by some parents and some of the girls.

This coach is dedicated to the well being of the girls and wants them to be successful individually and as a team.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
There has got to be way more to the story, however if things aren't going well between the two... then someone should probably leave.

Let me ask, how much is the coach getting paid? I assume nothing because almost all of us do it because we love it. Why should he/she continue to put up with whatever is happening?

What do the other parents and players think of the coach?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
There has got to be way more to the story, however if things aren't going well between the two... then someone should probably leave.

There is way more to the story; too much to explain.

Let me ask, how much is the coach getting paid? I assume nothing because almost all of us do it because we love it. Why should he/she continue to put up with whatever is happening?

The coach is a volunteer. He would put up with what is happening because he is not coaching this team for himself, he is coaching for the kids.

What do the other parents and players think of the coach?

At least half of the parents are supporters of the coach, at least 4 are staunch supporters, some haven’t said and a few are friends of the manager and support him.

Most of the players seem to really like the coach and some have told their parents that they have never learned so much as they have learned this year. They seem to be responsive to his coaching and leadership.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I kind of ran into the same problem last year. The organization I was coaching with had been steadily going down in number of teams, and in fact my 12U team was the only one last year. My problem was with the Board, and basically it came down to we (meaning the 1 team) fundraised over 10,000 for the organization and the girls never benefited from it (the Board wouldn't even allow funds released for an end of year team party). So I informed the parents toward the end of the year that I would be leaving the organization and going to another one. Bottom line... out of 12 girls that played with me last year, 9 of them came with me (2 had to move up, and 1 one to another team)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
You have to move on. This situation, while your trying to keep the team together now, will only tear it apart during the summer. It is a time bomb ticking. The chips will have to fall where they may regarding what others do. That is a shame. I've been coaching for a few decades. I've seldom seen this end in a positive manner.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I really appreciate your responses Cannonball and CoachKevin. It would be good to get the advise of a few more people.

Thanks all,

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What happened to all of these things about "commitment" and loyalty? If you were a player, everyone would say, "Tough it out through the year, and then don't make the same mistake again."

IMHO, you mad a bad decision to get involved with coaching. But, the decision was made and you have to live with the consequences.

If you were a player, everyone would tell you to stick with the team through the summer no matter what, and learn from your mistake. So, I think you stick with the team through the summer, take it like a man (or woman), and don't make the same mistake next year.

Jan 15, 2009
I'm in agreement with sluggers. Adults should be able to work it out for the sake of the kids and then move on after the season.

The exception to this would be if someone is abusing the kids physically or emotionally by using abusive language. In that case you might need to walk away. I'm assuming this doesn't involve something like alchohol, drugs, or tobacco in front of the kids. That's something I'd walk away from as well if it can't be stopped.

If this breaks down to "I'm the coach and I think this... and it's my decision" and a manager who says "I'm the manager and I think this... and it's my decision" sit down work out like adults and finish the season. Usually these situations seem worse than they are because people are reluctant to confront them directly and involve third parties (the parents that support the coach or manager) to try to resolve. Unless your a one team organization, have someone else come in and arbitrate if necessary.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Again, thanks for the advise.

My initial reaction was to stick it out and see the team through the season. I would, in fact tell my DD to do the same. I don't personally believe that a coach (or a player) should quit a team under most circumstances.

Thank you sluggers for the reminder that I made a commitment to the team and loyalty is paramount to the success of a team. I'm not too sure what to make of the comment that I made a bad decision to coach, but I don't think I did.

I hope that Cannonball's prediction is wrong.

I come to this forum for information and advise about the game of softball and respect the opinions of most who post here. I know that there are only a few reasons for a coach to leave a team mid-season and asked for your opinions to solidify my thoughts.

My decision is correct in my mind.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm not saying it was a bad decision to coach. You didn't do your homework on this guy and you didn't clearly define the roles. Everyone who has been involved in softball has gotten into a similar mess.

There was a team that wanted my DD to pitch for them. The coach was real nice, the kids on the team were real nice, he had great plans for what he was going to do for the team, etc. So, I said, "OK".

The first game of the season, he gets mad at his DD. She is playing CF, and he walks out to the center of the infield during the middle on an inning, and starts screaming at her. It was bizarre. While the guy was clearly a nut, it was my fault for not getting the lowdown on this bozo.

Once bitten twice shy.

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28