Shot Put

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2019
I think that it could strengthen the shoulder muscles which could help but the motions are 2 completely different motions.

Jun 22, 2019
I don’t think it helps or hurts. My middle child did shotput and was very good at it...won the district meet her freshman year and there were girls there 3 times her size, but I honestly couldn’t tell a difference in it helping or hurting playing softball.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
DD plays Varsity softball and throws shot for the Varsity team as well, during the same season(spring) I have seen no ill effects at all. In fact I think it has helped her leg drive as a pitcher. Or it’s just an extra workout to get stronger!!

Feb 12, 2014
Taught correctly, there are some amazing correlations between putting the shot and hitting.

Not nearly smart enough to know how it would effect throwing, but putting and throwing should be two totally distinct motions.

Sep 29, 2019
I am a high school throws coach for track. As long as she is taught properly she will be fine. If she trys to throw the shot like a softball then yes, she could really damage her shoulder. To get her started go to Arete Throws Nation, that is great site to get her started on the basics for throwing the shot and Discus. The shot and discus will absolutely help with her rotational power and overall explosiveness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28