Shorts vs Pants (HS Ball)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Preference for Pants vs Shorts? I think we all agree, so WHY do we let the girls wear shorts?

I prefer Pants, and hate they even have an OPTION to wear shorts.
1) Hot weather states and they ALL wear pants (at least at the D1 level) Florida/Florida State, Texas/Texas A&M, Arizona/Arizona State, UCLA/CAL, etc! ALL wear pants and EVERY Coaches clinic I've been to coaches state same..... long pants, no issues sliding or worrying about tearing up their legs or WORSE - issue for TAN LINES..

Whay do we even give them an option?

Jan 15, 2009
I agree that it is MY preference to have them wear pants, and after 4 years of freezing her butt off every spring I finally have my daughter coming around to my opinion. Same with our High School Varsity squad, they have had pants for years but never wore them until this year, which happened to follow the coldest spring ever last year (we had snow first week in May last year).

Why do we allow them the choice? I think that clearly the girls want to wear shorts instead of pants and if we're already telling them how to bat, how to catch, how to throw, how to pitch maybe they need to have some say in how they look to balance things out and with a good sliding pad and decent sliding technique you should be able to avoid the road rashes from sliding.

Maybe it has to do with how they enter the sport in Rec ball, if suzy at 6 looks at girls playing softball in pants and girls playing volleyball/soccer/basketball/lacrosse/golf/tennis in shorts or skirts, softball might be a hard sell as a proper girly pursuit.

KAT

May 13, 2008
why give them a choice....

I think they should have a choice even though like you prefer the pants. And I hope my daughter didnt look at the shorts and decide to play the sports she did based on the proper girly thing...I am hoping she chosed those sports because she liked them...

Dec 28, 2008
For me ... pants aren't optional and neither are proper shirts that are tucked in both for games and practices.

"But I don't like wearing pants" -- "I don't like paying taxes but we are both going to have to learn to make the adjustment."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is no reason to dictate one or the other. Issue them a pair of shorts and a pair of women's pants (not men's) and tell them to wear whatever they want. If there are 9 in pants and 4 in shorts, fine.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
I always suggest Seniors make the call for shorts or pants, but I really do think they should wear pants, though obviously, not everything I think is the only way to think!
** They ALL have to be in the same uniform during the game, rules.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
There is a major ASA trny here this week, The rules state that objections to non-matching uniforms "will not be heard."

Since the games inception, we wore shorts. I have never wore baseball pants. I recently started playing again and my age group would never wear pants on a softball field.

Softball pants for ladies came out a few years ago. I didn't find it odd. DD wore pants, some.

But pants don't help you slide. Many young ladies need to be taught to slide. If done properly, you can slide just fine in shorts.

Sun damage is a real problem, though - for shorts wearers. We didn't have sunblock, back in the day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802